New to beading Questions

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
jerms wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 11:20 AM

Hello I am new to here and new to beading. I am make a wedding dress for my friend and she really loves this 6000 dress made only in Singapore. The dress is beautifully beaded tulle. I tried to find fabric like the dress she loved but I couldn't find any. But then one day I went to a fabric store and found this. 

I took a picture of this fabric to show to my friend and she loved it. The problem is that the beaded panel is not big enough to do both the front and back of the dress. So I am going to have to do the back myself from scratch. I want the back and the front to flow together so it looks like one piece of fabric. I was wondering what technique I should learn in order to do this. I researched a little about tambour work but I am not sure if that is the technique use on this piece of fabric above. Please help! I do have a year to learn :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 12:32 PM

jerms, I'd suggest less jewels on the back because it would be uncomfortable to sit in, but do look at products like "rhinestone chain" and there are things like "rose montees" that are also made to sew onto fabric. Those would be heavy and that is one reason I don't know if you'll be able to do it on tulle, but another fabric would hold it. The tulle panel you have could be attached to the same heavier fabric (to match) for the front. Good luck with this project. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jerms wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 1:15 PM

Thanks Donna. I do plan on using less beads in the back. I would just like to use the small ones used at the end of the chains. There is going to be a satin foundation underneath the front of the dress but I would like to just keep the back plain tulle with beading. I think I would just continue the smaller chains around the back and continue that motif to make a design so it will be a lot lighter than the rhinestone chain and rose montees. I do plain to add some rose montees to the back. She is going to do her ceremony and pictures  in this dress and have another dress to for the reception. To do all of the chains what technique will work the best to give me the same look as the front? I have only seen the tambour work and just the regular needle and thread. Will one give me a better result than the other?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 1:22 PM

I have no wisdom to share here, but I hope you post images of your finished project. This is fantastic inspiration.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 3:49 PM

On a heavy material, tambour might not even be needed, but I am not sure. Rhinestone chain is not particularly heavy in the small sizes, ditto for the rose montees, but you will have to judge that yourself. 

Rhinestone chain is just sewed on, like "couching" basically and you can curve it somewhat. There may be better choices that would be lighter in weight, I'd to haunt some sewing stores for sure and just look around. And your idea of just the small drops (or whatever they are, can't really tell from the picture) on the tulle would be more sensible. I haven't done any real sewing in eons, but I used to have to make all my cloths back in the dark ages when no one was short and thin and needed to work in a high end environment.  Donna

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS