what holds this together

This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 21, 2013 8:15 PM

when it's not around your neck?  What keeps the 6 strands together?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 8:41 PM

Windy, Look at where it wraps in front..........notice it is only three strands? (or that is what I am seeing anyway) that would indicate to me that it is really three reeeeaaaally long strands and I'd bet there is a spot somewhere maybe about a few inches away from the wrap where the three strands are connected to the three strands thus holding them together. Clear as mud? I don't know if I made it clear or not, but I've seen a bracelet somewhere that was done like that to hold it together. When you see a scarf wrapped that way, the fabric holds itself together, but I don't think the beads would.

Donna, who if she is wrong will chalk it up to my recent eye surgery.......I'll look to see if I can find the bracelet that was done that way also.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 21, 2013 8:48 PM

OK, 3 long strands folded in half.....but I'm still lost as to what it looks ike when you take it off...Embarrassed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 21, 2013 8:49 PM

oh....and   when worn, what keeps the '6' from curling up onto one another?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 58
AlexiaFF wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 10:06 AM

It is 6 strands folded in half. On one side they split the 6 strands in half and drop the other side in between the split. For the beads not to come off looks like they knotted between them at the bottom ( white pearls). 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 1:01 PM

Windy, unless I am missing some "hidden" parts or connections........... "what does it look like when you take it off"..........I'd say that if the three top are connected to the bottom three,  you would have just what it looks like in the picture, except not around the neck........long and straight with a loop on one end. Also, "when worn, what keeps the 6 from curling up"............ I'd say nothing, it may look better on a form then on a hooman. Then again, I don't see them but, there may be some spacers or stitching along the part where you want the "6" to stay flat.

If I were making this that is what I'd do. Starting from near the loop part, I'd put in the smallest 6 strand spacers I could find (or make them out of wire) and do maybe 6 or 8 of them spaced to go around the neck part, then let them drop naturally below that point. But personally I would not want them to stay "artificially" flat like that, I'd let them curl and enjoy the necklace after all the strands are all alike and it is an illusion. I think it is very pretty though. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 1:02 PM
Hi, I can think of at least 2 ways this design can be made. First, Using a spacer bar, probably in the back so it wouldn't be easily seen, to hold the strands apart. Second, by using a conventional clasp and splitting the necklace.kwim? One, side of the necklace is the beaded straight strands and the other side of the necklace the strands are looped and attached to the clasp. Then the straight strands are slipped through the looped strands. You could probably put in a couple of stithches to truly connect the straight and looped strands where they cross. I don't know if that made sense to anyone but me. But it's just my thoughts. P.S. Sorry, if this runs all together my computer is not recognizing paragraphs or spacing today. (The computer gremlins must be in full force today)

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 1:09 PM

SEllen's response works also and would be a bit more structured than mine. But I think both would work. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 22, 2013 1:17 PM

OK, but if I use 6 hole spacers, I would hve to do 6 strands insteadf 3 doubled up, yes?

sigh.  It's tough being a senile old bat Stick out tongue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 1:49 PM
Windy- If you're using a conventional clasp. Then the side with the straight strands would be 6 the side with the looped strands would be 3. If you're using only the space bar then you would string 3 strands up to the length you predetermine then add the spacer then string the length of your looped beads then go back throught the other side of your spacer. Then continue those straight strands to your finished length.kwim? Basically your just looping 3 strands and the space bar is what will hold them together. And it will look like 6 strands instead of 3. I'm sorry, I can see it clearly in my head but I guess it gets kind of muddy when I try to explain it.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 22, 2013 2:04 PM

Where does the clasp fit in?

And boy do I undertand muddy!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 3:05 PM

windy-

windyislandacres:

Where does the clasp fit in?

Okay, let me try this again.

If you want to use a conventional clasp..you string one side of your clasp with 6 straight strands of beads. In your picture it would be the side with the white and pinkish beads. You would just string them as normal. The other side of the clasp you would string 3 strands to your desired length for the loop to fit where you want it to hit on the throat. Then you would loop those 3 strands and attach the other end to the same side of the clasp they came out of. That will make it look like 6 strands.Then slip the straight strands through the looped ones  if you add some stitches between the straight strands and the looped strands where they meet to permanantly attach the two together. That way the only way to remove the necklace is by the clasp.

How did I do this time? Better?... No?Sad

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 22, 2013 3:39 PM

Yes  :)   It just didn't  look  like there was anyclasp in there.  But it is a fuzzy photo.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 5:58 PM

This is beginning to have all the ear-marks of a CHALLENGE.............. Windy, you cannot possibly be older than me, no way and still be able to type and bead....LOL. If I owned enough beads to make one of these I'd issue a challenge, but I could probably pull off a bracelet length one. Where did you see this picture anyway, maybe you should stop looking there. Just kidding..........so where DID you see this? Hmmmm, inquiring minds need to know. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 169
on Jan 22, 2013 6:28 PM

it was on ebayBig Smile

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS