Peyote Collars

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 12:31 AM

Hello

I downloaded a free resource from this site for a Peyote Stitch Toggle Clasp, which I made with no problem. The author is Melinda Barta of Beadwork magazine. But I can not figure out how to start the 2A (or 4A) wide collar. The jpeg below shows all the instruction there is.... I am sorry, I just do not understand what "....and peyote stitch to work a strip 2A or 4A wide and long enough to wrap around the ring..." means. I know what the length has to be, I get that, what I do NOT get, is how to start! How many beads to I string on.... Sorry to be so slow. I can do the stitch, but this stumps me! If it is to be 20 rows, for example, do I string on 40 beads??? 20 beads?? OR just 2 beads??

Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 1:11 AM

After stringing on 2 beads and working them in peyote stitch I seem to be getting something that looks like the photo. Why am I so slow to understand the terms used!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
PJC123 wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 4:58 PM

The patttern was probably wanting you to either use 2 or 4 of your "A" color/size/style bead which ever even number you chose to look right for your "design".

PJC

Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 8:55 PM

Yes, I think you are correct. I just don't understand how to start without someone almost taking my hand. This is so embarrassing!! But, trying and trying is the only way I can learn, I guess. I tried it and I was able to make something that looks like the above photos.

:-)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 8:56 PM

I hope you have it by now............peyote was the last stitch I learned. It is a funny story now, at the time I was just totally bummed. Took a class to learn peyote, we made a simple bracelet, THEN we learned how to embellish it with bridges and swoopy connectors and all sorts of really cool things........I was clipping an end off one of the bridges and cut a thread in the main bracelet and of course the whole thing turned back into a pile of beads............ I went on to learn every thing else I could find and if I saw a peyote pattern, I just did it in brick. My simple work around. Finally got back to peyote in the last year.

Anyway, I had a whole big paragraph written up for you and at the last moment I realized the way I was looking at it was all wrong. I was "seeing" brick and wrote instructions for you to do it in brick..........I deleted my post about the time you sent  yours saying you were getting it.........  Geeez, I hate to make a fool out of myself in a public forum. I like the look of the "4" probably because it looks richer in the gold she used. 

Hope you are doing spectacularly by now. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 9:17 PM

We had a big snow storm here in Tokyo and I was in a hurry for some reason to get these done this morning. Plus, my toggle is smaller than the one in the lesson material. I went with the 2 bead format. But you are right, the 4 bead embellishment would have been better. But I will be making these again! I will use the 4 bead one then! Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. You don't know how thankful I AM!! When I get done with the necklace, I will upload that photo too!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS