Spam infiltrated our Galleries

This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 5:56 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Spammers have flooded the pages of the Galleries? I think Inteweave has lost all control of this site. 

Interweave needs to reinstate the  live moderators to this site. If someone was watching, they could have the power to remove this garbage before it was online more than just a few hours. 

Anyone else feel the same way?

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 7:00 PM

Yeah, I do feel the same way but nobody cares, I'm afraid. It's just a sign of the times. I feel old now.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 9:31 PM

Yeah! for speaking up!. I sent a an Email to Jen, offered to be a moderator and complained about the spam.

anyone have any Idea who, or whom, we could all email and ask them who is moderating this site?

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 569
Beadiecat wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 11:19 PM

Thanks Mary.  Let us know what kind of a response you get.  I really don't know who is in charge here any more.

Beading Daily has a Facebook page here.  I wonder if we could get some attention by posting comments to the Facebook page?

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 569
Beadiecat wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 11:26 PM

I just posted a comment in their "New Years Resolutions" thread directing them here, because it didn't look like I could start a new thread.  Let's see what happens.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 4:55 AM

Yes, I feel that not enough attention is paid to the site (by the Powers That Be'), especially in the gallery.  I thought that the gallery (Readers Photo Gallery) was for us to display our work -- not a means to advertise the 'goods'.  There is an urgent need for active moderators with experience (asap!).

Ottercat Coffee

01-10-13 (0255 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 607
shanks wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 10:58 AM

I certainly agree with Ottercat.   I have sent in several spam messages to the moderator, to no avail. It is getting quite bad. There are two spammers down in Step by Step wire Jewelry right now that have been there for quit a while.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 5:26 PM

Hey everybody!!!

Go check out the 'Readers Photo Gallery' -- somebody heard us!  The 'clean-up' is in progress Big Smile!!

Ottercat Coffee

01-10-13 (0325 PST)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 6:16 PM

What a welcomed surprise. I guess we talked loud enough for someone to hear our complaints. 

Thanks, who ever took care of the spam on the Gallery pages.Big Smile

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,062
Editor
on Jan 17, 2013 12:34 PM

Hello, everyone! I noticed the spam in the galleries before I found this thread, and yes, right now, I'm working alone on moderating the forums.

That said, I am now reaching out to anyone who might be interested in being a moderator for these forums. We'll be making some changes in the coming weeks - mostly paring down the forums and getting things a little better organized so that our threads are easier to find and follow, and I would encourage anyone who would like to be a moderator to please send me an email so we can start improving things!

As always, anyone is always welcome to contact me with any questions or concerns they have about the site.

Thanks!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 17, 2013 9:56 PM

Jennifer VanBenschoten:
We'll be making some changes in the coming weeks - mostly paring down the forums

Please don't 'delete' the old threads -- I'm not done reading, yet.  Maybe an archival library -- there's a lot of good tips and info contained in the old threads.   Just a suggestion (?) -- thanks.

Jennifer VanBenschoten:
anyone who would like to be a moderator

What is involved in being a moderator?  Thanks again.

Ottercat Coffee

01-17-13 (1955 PST)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 9:16 AM

I agree with Ottercat here- in not deleting older posts- older posts that are irrelevant to beading, yes- But even the smallest post that has a question on a technique, product, etc or the smallest post sharing a cool site or store is really "gold" to those of us who can't participate on a daily/weekly basis- as well as any new members looking for information. 

I love forums for this and when I am away (as I have been)- one of the first things I do is go back to the oldest posts and read forward- I love watching how the interests in projects change, seeing who frequents from then to now, how someone has grown and progressed in their art, and, well, everything! Even after beading for over 20 yrs I still learn new things myself- I don't think anyone is ever an actual "expert" but just very well versed in areas more than others or more than they were when first getting started. 

I will say, I wish I could find more on all types of beading techniques here- It could be that many of those things have been deleted? I work in polymer, resin, wire, and glass... I also love to "recycle" for some more eclectic type pieces- This is "beading daily"... It should involve all things in beading- Not just weaving and stringing beads... again that "just me..."

Please leave the older posts up if they are relevant to jewelry/ornamental/decor/ type beading- regardless of the medium used or asked about.

Thanks so much for letting me add my "two cents"

~Luv

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Jan 20, 2013 5:56 AM

thats a good message, glad to hear something happens.

for the organiziation of the threads i find all really good, never had problems to find anything and everything is easy to understand, where to find what and so on.

i would just love a bit more security and privacy for the beaders....so that not everybody can read things without a account, or at least can not join converstations without account, but thats a different thing. i will be happy as it is, to get the spamers out would be a great thing....

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 10:57 PM

I didn't get any guidelines to Do's and Don'ts. So, Far, I have deleted the obvious Spam! and any duplicate post I find.

I have E mailed one "Spammer". and deleted the Pandahall from all the post I could find.

If it smells like Spam, Looks like Spam, Sounds like Spam.. my guess it is Spam, and I delete it.

If I am wrong. well a "I am guessing I will get an Email from Jen".

We just NEED people who can remove the spam. WE all know Spam when we see it.

none of us are here on this site 24 hours a day. So, if there are enough Moderators to "Remove Spam Quickly" they will go away.

(one would hope, Two would hope alsoCrying)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 3:47 AM

Thanks, Mary -- there's a learning curve in this.  Better to remove spam before feathers get too ruffled (and feelings get hurt).  There may be more help on the way -- you're not alone.  Would it help to include the location and reason when spam is reported?  Any other information that would help you?

Ottercat Coffee

01-23-13 (0146 PST)

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS