how to make this beaded basket

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 7:37 AM

hi everyone, i think i posted this somewhere else also, but i'm not sure if i did it right. anyway, my friend's grandma made a bunch of christmas ornaments that were very popular from the late 70's to the early 80's i think. i'm sure everyone has probably seen a version of the beaded bell. well i am looking for instructions on the beaded basket. i tried to figure it out from the pics that she sent me but i'm not getting anywhere. i have attached the pics and i would appreciate any help i can get.

thanks,

sherrie allen

newark, ohio

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 224
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 12:04 PM

Have you looked at BeadJewelryMaking dot com?  They have instructions for all kinds of cute beaded 3D objects.

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 2:12 PM

hi kathy, i just went and checked it out and no basket but they did have some cute things. thanks for the tip. i have a feeling it will not be easy to find the pattern.

sherrie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 3:01 PM

Sherrie................I think you can do it on your own. String 6 beads and tie off into a circle, bead around it like right angle weave using five new beads to make a larger circle of 6 bead rings. I am not positive how the sides get "formed" but somewhere along the line, like after the first three rounds, a decrease happens and that shapes the vertical sides.

Do you have a library that has craft books? There are a number of craft books (usually Japanese) that show how to make these things, usually with wire, but just make it using string. I had several of these and just gave them to the library. They keep some and sell the rest of what is donated to them..........so I can't be more specific. The books will usually have small human figures, dogs, cats, sometimes furniture, flowers, etc. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
HoneyBeads wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 6:49 PM

I also think it is a RAW stitch indeed. As far as I can see the rounding is frow the second layer where you add 5 beads instead of 6. If you want to make this easy for you, you have to look past the colors and just see the rounds.. Like this, the red dot is the beginning.

You can see now that the second layer is 5-6-5 ... 

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 9:34 PM

Thanks D.M.Z. the library is a good idea. i got as far as stringing the 6 beads in a circle. If you can't tell already, i'm still learning stuff.Tongue Tied

sherrie

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 9:37 PM

thanks honey bead, i think i have to practice raw stitch but i think i can see what you're telling me.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 9:43 PM

wow just wanna say thanks to everyone for all the tips and feedback. my first time on the forum and it's been awesome.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 10, 2013 12:31 AM

Scanned the post yesterday, thought a diagram might be needed, then went home and asked my cousin who is a senior beader now about the beading, she just gave me a basic one for beading a ball, she said once you figured out it, you would know how other beading works was made immediately. not sure if she said the right thing, but I would try it anyway. If you are interested in it, can check it as well! Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 5:56 AM

wow that's pretty cool but i have no idea how to read that. i really need to learn some stuff i think. she could do that just by looking at it? that's impressive.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 16, 2013 10:28 AM

Hey,

You really need to check out some Right Angle Weave (RAW) tutorials. The pattern above is pretty good especially with the different colors inserted along with bead types.

The basket you are trying is a basic RAW with what looks like faceted acrylic/plastic beads (that was the common type to use for these decorations in the 80's). Being larger also make them super simple to do. You need to know how a right angle weave is done first though- (also pretty easy)

There are a few patterns very similar out there for sale but before I spend $15- on a pattern (what I found at Beadwrangler) I would definitely want to have an idea of the technique. (I also think that is steep for this pattern in seed beads, but that is me).

You could also check for any books on Amazon from enterprise art and see if they actually had it in a publication. That way you could at least have a variety of items to learn.

Start slow and practice some basic weaves... as you go along you will start to get the idea for how many beads of what size you will need to get the look you want. Then try the pattern, or even another and build up to it. 

Good Luck- (BTW, you can check beadwrangler for the pattern I found under projects6to9 

It is done with seed beads but looks to be the exact type basket- just don't add the little adornment inside the basket and use larger beads.

~Luv

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 66
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Feb 2, 2013 10:48 AM

I would not be surprised to find out that this came from a "Mary Maxim" catalogue.

I don't think you'll need the pattern, I'm sure you'll be able to re-create it without too much trouble.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Feb 2, 2013 1:52 PM

actually that was the first place i checked and that's how i found the bell. i've been trying to recreate it but i'm not really understanding the right angle weave. still working on it though.

thanks,

sherrie

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS