How do you take your pictures of your work?

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
cjscma1026 wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 6:26 AM

I am just starting out and wanting to show you guys in this forum what they think of my work.  I found directions on how to do so by making a homemade light box using a cardboard box etc....

I was wondering is the light box necessary?  Could anyone give me some advice on how to take good  pix.

Thank you so much!Smile

g

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 3:57 PM

I use one of the milky colored storage boxes good camera  and a tripod. Shining a light through the plastic defuses the light nicely. You should do a search using the box in the upper right as there have been several discussions about this subject in the past.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,558
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 8:22 PM

Good advice shanks..............I use a translucent white 5 gallon bucket (from Denali caramel syrup) that came from a bakery. I use my OTT light set up against the bucket (ONLY while shooting) and my camera on a tripod.

There are a lot of semi-cra**y cameras out there that can do a decent job if they are on a tripod. Outdoor natural light is also good, but not direct sun.....I find that too "iffy" and not consistent enough, some days cloudy and that changes everything.

Ditch any fancy schmancy, distracting backgrounds too. Plain medium gray is best if your camera is not top quality as cameras want to find gray as their baseline. I have used a medium to light blue also, my camera at the time thought of that as close to gray and liked it. Plenty of people have tried to reinvent the wheel when it comes to photoing jewelry.........search through the site here and also do a google for photographing jewelry. There is one site that is excellent and what works for gold and diamond jewelry will certainly work for our lovely beads.  Donna

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS