How to keep hemp from twisting when it's not supposed to?

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 4, 2013 12:33 PM

Hi,

I'm currently trying to make a hemp beaded necklace for my son.  This is new to me.  I've gotten about 2" of square knots tied and the cord is twisting.  What's wrong and how do I fix it?  Thanks for your help!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 7:01 AM

HI,

If you're getting a spiral you're most likely not making true squares (right over left/left over right) but rather same sided half knots or possible alternating half hitches.

There are a couple of YouTube vid's on this and I think there's one over at Beadaholique that are quite good.  But, in short try this:

If always pulling the working cord out to the right, then alternating placing this cord under the core for the first half knot and then over the cord for the second half.

If pulling working cords out on opposite sides (a little more difficult without a board buy this is what I do most often) then the working cord will always pass over (or under) the core cord--no need to alternate as using "opposite" working cords will do this for you.

I'm working on video's of this for my new macrame board but they won't likely be finished until next month.

HTH,

Anne

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS