new to forum as well as beading

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 192
noelohwell wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 8:14 AM

hey all!  I'm Noel and one of my daughter's  and I just recently started beading.  we started out stringing and have moved over to seed beading.  I'm working on a bracelet using the square stitch right now.  Neat stitch! 

I'm still really struggling with starting some of these stiches.  Take for instance, the tubular peyote...once I have four rows or so, I'm okay.  But getting to that fourth row....OMG! 

I'm in central Virginia and I have four kids, married to Nathan.  Nice to meet 'cha!

Noel

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 11:10 AM

Welcome Noel, and we hope to see some of your pieces soon!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,560
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 12:26 PM

Noel, that start for tubular is a bear. So don't feel bad about it, you are not alone and if you and your daughter are not taking classes it is even harder. The instructors usually know "tricks" for making things easier than just reading directions in a book or online.

One person I know uses a dowel or knitting needle and starts her work off using that as a control. Another advocates removing the first few rows once you are up and running and have the tension all sorted out. Another one starts it out as a flat circular sort of thing then at row four she pulls it up into the tube shape......and for her that gets the tension and shape all just fine.

I have started all my tubular peyote bangles soooo many times it isn't funny. Some have not come out as full and big as I wanted, so I had to add more beads to the rows. Ultimately though, in having to restart several times on each one.....I have gotten used to pulling the tension on those first rows a bit more than the subsequent rows and it seems to work out fine. But if I get to the end to join them and they don't match up, I am not adverse to removing the first round of rows until they do match both in tension and pattern.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 192
noelohwell wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 12:53 PM

awesome response, thank you!  Somehow I never thought of that!  good to know that others have similar issues. 

thank you!!!

Noel

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 10:22 PM

Welcome to BeadingDaily Forum. There is a Great Tutorial here on BD for the 'Tubular Peyote.'.

No matter how many Tubular Peyote I do, its the first 4-5 rows I have to do over. So I started with a plain color, when it looks right I switch and folow the pattern.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 192
noelohwell wrote
on Jan 24, 2013 8:34 AM

:)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 192
noelohwell wrote
on Jan 24, 2013 8:45 AM

another awesome reply.  thank you!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
kami87 wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 8:13 AM

Hey Noel!

Im Kaitlyn.

Nice to meet you. I have been beading since I was 12 but I never have tried the seed bead stitching. I still have no idea how to do it so you know more about that than me. Lol.

My favorite method of making jewelry is to buy Sculpey clay or other type of polymer clay from a craft store and get some molds. Add some flatback crystals and bake then add a clay glaze.

You can make your own beads this way too.

Very inexpensive, easy, and might be fun for you and your kids!

Cheers!

KaMi

Pure Peace Designs  Handmade by Me

Musey Market Handmade Marketplace

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS