How can I tell the finished diameter size?

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 1:09 PM

I've seen such LOVELY spiral jewelry, using diff. techniques. I have so many ideas flitting about. What prevents me starting any of them, is I can't really tell how thick they are, as there's not usually something of common size next to them. I like lighter looking necklaces, and I can't tell what's thick or how thick they are. If the image is close-up and I can count 4 beads and someone states they made it with #11 seeds, I can get a decent idea of the thickness. But what I love best is the Russian and I've no idea just how thick they'll look on the wearer. I'm currently thinking of 4mm as the centers. Any clues how I can figure out the completed size without starting so many actual pieces? I'm also planning on matching earrings and bracelets to my finished necklaces, but I'm not as concerned with the thickness of the bracelets as I am the necklaces, as bracelets can be thin or wide, no matter.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 2:03 PM

TC, spiral necklaces CAN be a bit much..... I've never tackled a necklace in a spiral, but my friend who makes them a lot uses smaller beads for the necklaces because then they don't "bulk" up too much. I make bracelets and so I see how big the spirals can get..........one of mine is humungous and I love it and everyone grabs my arm when I'm wearing it........... What you can do if the spiral is a bit much is just do maybe 4 - 6 inches in the spiral, then make the rest of the necklace in something like a spiraling herringbone with less beads but the same colors. That will thin it out a bit and you still get the showyness of the spiral front and center. I have a Russian here that I used 8/o for the center and 11/o for the spiral part and some short bugles.......it's only about a half inch in diameter and very flexie.

I have done some sample swatches for spirals. If you like the size just keep going, if it is coming out too thick, end it and make it a swatch. Hang a blank price tag on it with the colors/sizes of beads just in case. Mine go up on a cork message board, so little bits and pieces and early on I didn't do the tags so I have some mystery swatches too. I made one bracelet and by the time I was happy with what I had, I had gone through purchasing the beads twice and made a half dozen swatches. My problem with this one was compound, size of beads and ultimately the stitch. It was supposed to be African Helix which I have a devil of a time with because I have a hard time holding the tension so I ended up with Russian but had to tweak the pattern to make it come out looking like African Helix which is what drew me to the pattern to begin with..........sigh.

Once you've done a few, you'll have a feel for how big it will be. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 7:42 PM

Oh I do believe she's telling me get off my lazy tush and start testing! LOL Honestly though, Donna: You always give the best replies. And some day, I'd love to see that cork board you mention so often. I picture a veritable kaleidoscope. Must be just lovely to sit and stare at.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 9:50 PM

TC...............moi? if you get up you won't be able to bead, so stay seated.........LOL. But seriously, one pattern in two or three sizes will give you a really good idea.

My cork board IS sort of funny, there are some interesting things on it........one was a bingo card that I did in square stitch with those little alphabet letters in the spaces (across the top it said BINGO, across the face was the word lucky and across the bottom Marge), It was for my mom who ALWAYS won at bingo, she'd play these cheap games and walk out with folding money in her pocket.. However she got ill and by the time she was better and I started working on it again she passed, so it is a sort of memory for me. Another thing is a pair of ruby slippers that I drew up for a project except......... I measured my beads the wrong direction and the slippers are like a size 12 or 13......snort. Now THERE is a lesson I learned. There is also a hank of glow in the dark beads which I have no clue as to what to do with but the inspiration will come to me eventually. Oh, and a black and white feather made from a pattern out of BnB like number 7 or 10.....(back in the dark ages) and it is square stitched in 15/o beads................arrrrgh. Donna, now laughing

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 11:36 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOO I know what can be done with the glow in the dark beads! FAN PULLS! I have 2, I love them,

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS