What are these beads?

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 9:12 AM
Hello everyone! I was given some jewlery a friend got in an auction and I have been all over the Internet trying to identify some beads. I believe they are glass, no seam, round, and have a look to them that made me think they would glow in the dark. (Yes, I did try it) :). Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 9:58 AM

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,520
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 12:53 PM

Not good enough in the picture to really do any IDing, but start with druks.........they are nicely rounded, come fro Czechoslovakia and can be shiny or matte. A good sorce of druks and pictures of them is Fire Mountain Gems website. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Dec 29, 2012 2:45 AM

The picture is not that clear, thus I can not give you the accurate answer on what they are, but I am sure it definitely not glass beads. Glass beads are regularly of uniform color, and it would be felt cold due to the property of absorbing as well as dissipating heat fast. :) And I am sure the bead strand is among the precious group! :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 6:11 AM

They almost look like catseye crystal, though it's a bit difficult to tell.  If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was milk glass.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 7:14 AM

Thank you all for your time and attention.  I made a good attempt to get better shots of the beads and I these are my best.  A new camera is on my list :).  The beads were cold, but did warm pretty quickly and did hold the warmth.  ~Francie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 5:27 PM

I have spent 95% of this day looking for these.  I have learned a lot about some other beads :)  The closest I have come is the Milk Beads, Agate, and Amazonite.  The Milk Beads 'look' like they are the most likely.  Now to rest from my hunting trip and try to get an idea for these aqua-ish, yellow-ish beauties. :)  Thanks again!  ~Francie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 9:05 PM

When I recieve "Gifts of Unidentifiable gems" I take them to a local jewelry store, or local Bead store". The owners are always quick to help you identify and labe your new beads. It helps to buy something from them, to show your appreciation for their time.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 1:30 PM

Gyspy Mary:

When I recieve "Gifts of Unidentifiable gems" I take them to a local jewelry store, or local Bead store". The owners are always quick to help you identify and labe your new beads. It helps to buy something from them, to show your appreciation for their time.

Thank you Gyspy Mary, I had not thought of those things.  Right now I couldn't but as soon as my doctor says to get a wheel chair, I'm outta here. :). I've been told I have some permant nerve damage in my spine and am not able to walk, unassisted, right now.  I am so grateful for my wire and beads :). Anyway thanks again.  Thank you all for your time.  :). ~Francie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 8:56 PM

These look to me like it is New Jade, a natural gemstone.  This is the very same color as New Jade, which is a light, translucent-to-opaque lemonade-type color.  I can see someone thinking that New Jade might glow in the dark if they thought it wasn't a gemstone.  Do some eBay or Etsy searches for New Jade and see if what comes up looks like your beads.

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 7:12 PM

Thank you Sherri,  They do look like the New Jade.  I enjoyed my time on eBay and Etsy, which lead me to googling them.  I have gotten some great information on some bead from this post of mine, I just hope I retain some of it. LOL

Thank you all again!!

~Francie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 12:33 AM

Bless You! I have had a long history with "bad back". I give Thanks every day that I am still able to get around. Not as fast as I would like, and not pain free. But, unlike a tooth ache, its liveable.

I dont live close to any "Large Jewelry stores'. so I keep the Big book Catalogs. They sell all kinds of gemstones. Usually I can find the stone in the book to match some odd ball stone I pick up in a yard sale.(or flea market0

Take care of yourself.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Feb 1, 2013 5:35 AM

Sometimes it is even hardly possible to identify a pearl or mineral when you hold it in your hands. So it is absolutely impossible to point it out via Internet or pictures. I recommend going to a mineral store to you. Just ask the people there. In most cases they are really helpful.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS