Sterling Silver Crimp Tubes

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 22
on Dec 20, 2012 10:35 AM

I have purchased sterling crimp tubes (in sizes 2x2 or 2x3) from various sources.  Most, I don't recall as I don't typically record those kind of tiny items in my bead worksheet.  I know one of the sources I have used are those packages of 50 sterling crimp tubes you can find at JoAnn Fabric or Michael's, you know, the ones in the gray package.

I have also noticed that the gray packages have starting selling many more plated items, probably due to the cost of sterling.  However, I found a package of 50 sterling 2x2s recently. 

I was half of the way through an illusion necklace when I starting using the new package and they were labeled sterling, for sure.  They were just awful.  I had to throw at least half of them away and they just about destroyed my necklace.

Perhaps they are using inferior sterling?  It was bizarre as the crimps I was using for the first half were no problem whatsoever, but I don't recall where I purchased them, probably etsy.

Where do you like to buy your sterling crimps?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 20, 2012 4:49 PM

Easy, I too get tired of having to find a product, use it, like it, and then having to buy a lifetime supply to avoid future cheapening of the product. That new package was probably made somewhere other than were the first ones were, or they used thinner sterling, thus making you have to toss half of the ones used.

They really cannot label them as sterling if they are not and I'd take them back and pitch a strong complaint. Of course so many companies don't give a hoot if they lose you, there are ten more people lined up to buy from them as soon as you leave the counter.

Sterling has been a standard "blend" of silver and copper since the 12th Century.......... No matter how sleazy a supplier, if it is labeled sterling it has to be sterling.  I don't use many crimps, but the ones I have are from my local bead store, what I do use a lot of is split rings and they had purchased some that were totally great looking in the package, but once spread open to accept the charm, they could not be returned to the regular split ring shape.............what? Turns out it was a bad batch and they had been taking them back and replacing them. At least with a local and known store, I didn't have to fight or holler........they knew the problem and took care of it.  Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 22
on Dec 20, 2012 6:17 PM

I'll bet you were right in that they were thinner sterling which would explain why I couldn't crimp them properly even though they were the same size. 

I sent an email to the manufacturer already and they offered to send a replacement.  But, will those be any good?

Thanks for posting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 12:30 AM

Easy, I'd go for the offer of a replacement.............they probably know they goofed on them. If nothing else, you will know whether to take a chance on the gray package in the future or not. I hate "dangling" problems, don't you? Clear up the doubt, take the replacements. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Jmlee614 wrote
on Dec 8, 2013 5:15 PM

http://www.finegemscanada.com/parts-findings/sterlingsilver/crimps-tubes.html

They sell good crimp tubes. I have used them and never had any problems. They are a beads and jewelry accessories  and have wholesale prices.  Their crimps tubes comes in a pack of 100 or 200 pcs depending on the sizes.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS