Matching beads to a photo

This post has 41 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 19, 2012 12:38 PM

I woud like to  make a tapestry  from a photo image.  Is there an easy way of matching bed colors to  the photo?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 1:57 PM

windy............well the easiest way is to own a bead pattern program which will convert your picture into a color chart...........but that is certainly not the most efficient way. It involves buying software and learning how to use it.

I know that some people used to (and some still do) use a clear bead template over the picture and with good light on it, compare tubes of beads that you have and use the closest ones. Guess it depends on how complicated the project is going to become and how many colors and how much shading. Personally, I use Bead Creator Pro and it takes all the guess work out of my life. But I do pull the colors before I start and then if I don't like a color or finish, I change the pattern before I start the actual beadwork. It used to take me a full day of comparison, comtemplation, etc. to get it where I wanted it. Now I am a bit faster as I have lots more experience. Sometimes I just go with the recommendations, but while the pics get rave reviews, I am not always happiest with it. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 19, 2012 2:15 PM

they make a program!  Yahoo!   Does that kind oof thng tell you who makes the bead and such?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 19, 2012 2:16 PM

oh....and how hard is it to learn?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,080
Editor
on Dec 19, 2012 2:17 PM

I believe that Bead Creator Pro gives you the Delica color numbers for the charts you create with it. I haven't used it in quite a while, but that's what I remember.

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 19, 2012 2:53 PM

Gulp.   I just looked at the price.   *faint*

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 7:17 PM

windy, that is really and truly not a lot, yes it is if you don't have the resources to buy it though. So work on some jewelry and sell it and take the money and buy the program. The current version has a "bead fairey" which will basically step you through the process, so an easy way to learn it. To rationalize it all, look at it as saving the amazing amount of hours you 'd spend matching and rematching colors compared to putting the picture into the computer and it spits out the whole thing.......photo of the finished piece, list of colors and quantity needed of each, plus either a word chart or a graph that shows the whole thing in color with the color number in the space............... For me when I want to do a picture of an orchid or someone's loved dog, or a pet parrot, it is far easier to get a really good picture to begin with, manipulate it in Photoshop and then put it in Bead Creator and voila! you are ready to bead. If you work with templates you'll be comparing color charts or tubes of beads to match the colors and that could take a looooong time. So............what is your time worth? Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 19, 2012 7:47 PM

well Donna, while I do agree with you, I definitely have more time than money.   However, maybe I can drop a hint or two to Santa Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,080
Editor
on Dec 20, 2012 8:33 AM

There's another bead pattern program out there called Bead Tool. When I bought it a few years ago, it was around $50, and while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Bead Creator, it's a great entry-level program.

I can say this about Bead Tool: their customer service is excellent, too, so if you have any questions or need assistance, I found them to be extremely helpful!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 20, 2012 8:43 AM

I found that program last night and bought it!   I was sorry to see no czech beads in there, but it is a nice, affordabl program for folks like me who aren't in the biz  :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 303
Sharon Mc wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 12:33 AM

I own Bead Tool 4 also and while it is not as sophisticated as Bead Creator, it gets the job done. I'm still learning how to use it as its a new purchase for me. I recently bought a loom and wanted a software I could use to create loom patterns on. I'm sure if you mentioned it to the creator/support of Bead Tool that you would like the Czech seed bead colors included he would be open to it as I hear he is very accommodating and welcomes our input. Hope you enjoy your new software toy. Please share with us anything you create as a result of using Bead Tool.

Sharon Mc

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 21, 2012 1:51 PM

I did contact him before I purchased.  It seems the prblem is getting a chart of colors and numbers for the Czeh ones.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 7:01 PM

Hi Sharon Mc, I just purchased the bead tool 4 (the price fit Santa's walletWink).. I just return to Loom work, and I am excited and looking forward to learning the program. There is a Bead Tool yahoo.group. I read lots of post and looked at the video's a dozen times.

I do use Czeck seed beads, humm, I don't find much color difference in most of the Seed Bead Brands and the Czeck tho.

I still haven't found out,??

"Does Bead Tool 4 give you the grams of beads for the pattern"?  If anyone knows?

That is important in ordering colors for a pattern.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows?

Thanks

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Dec 21, 2012 7:54 PM

it gives you the  bead  count

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 22, 2012 3:04 AM

Donna, I also have Photoshop; I am using version 6.0.  I created bead chart templates in alternating and non-alternating patterns that I use to chart my bead designs.  Nice to know that there is an easier way to do the same thing with more options (bead count, etc.).  Will be checking out Bead Creator Pro & Bead Tool soon.

Ottercat Coffee

12-22-12 (0104 PDT) 

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS