Need opinions for a new project (beaded lampshade)

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Flutt3r6y wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 3:25 PM
So I found an older lamp with a beautiful bright blue base and a ratty shade at an auction over the weekend. The first thing I could think of was "I can make a beaded shade for that!" (I can never seem to get ideas out of my head and the amount of UFOs I have just seems to get larger but I can't help picking up things I know I'll never find again). The base also has a larger S-shaped handle (I believe the base is brass except the blue glass). Overall it reminds me of "I dream of Jeannie" or something that would be in a harem. So - my question is how should I do the panels (there are 8 - larger rectangles - shade is straight). I've thought about using wire and just doing a random pattern across. Or doing peyote panels and then stitching them on there (and if I do that should I do all panels the same or different?). This is the largest project I've ever taken on so I'm trying to have as much planned as possible. Any input is appreciated Thanks!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 4:51 PM

Flutt, my immediate thought is that 8 larger panels could mean a lot of time and work. Since you already have UFO's (and I'd bet most of us do) I'd try to keep it simple. If you "do" fabric, the first thing I'd do is redo the panels in a lightweight white material. That gets the lamp up and functioning. Then you can do panels as you get to them or get inspired. For me, I'd loom up the panels because that would go the fastest for me.  Just doing beads on wire would let a lot of light through and it would be a source of a lot of glare.

Several years ago one of the bead mags featured over two months a smallish four sided lamp done in panels with the four seasons represented. That was totally cool. Another idea would be to do the basic refurbishing of the lamp shade and attach your longer panels of peyote to each side, maybe in strips that are doable, like oversized bracelets. Maybe one pattern per side in several colors. You'd certainly never get tired of it and it could also be done as you go while still enjoying the lamp. You are the artist and need to go with your ideas.......... good luck and keep us informed when you make progress....this could be very interesting. Donna

I use my winter months to haul out my UFO's and get some of them under control. Last winter I got HALF of them finished up and I was so happy with that. This year I've started again and have a few completed, so I believe I am starting a winter tradition.

My original post got cut off........there was more..............so be it. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Flutt3r6y wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 7:42 PM

Thanks for the input. I've pretty much set my mind to peyote. I'm planning on using see-through or silver-lined beads to let as much light through as possible. Scenes or random designs are the next big decision. The four season lamp does sound cool. A friend of mine did a lamp shade with the rainbow (each panel a different color) but she used different techniques (she's a crafters not a breaded - hers resembled a dream catcher 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 208
christina66 wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 2:13 AM

This sounds like a fantastic project. I think peyote panels would be good to diffuse the light from the bulb. I would choose strong jewel colours in the see through see beads that you have suggested. Also I would consider a geometric pattern in the style of Moroccan tile designs (I've become a bit obsessed with them after a visit to that country earlier this year but have yet to incorporate them into a design). Peyote might be a little difficult with the straight lines involved in both directions, but maybe two or three drop would help. Anyway, in my mind's eye I see rich blues (to match the base, greens, reds, purples and golds. Good luck

Christina

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 25, 2012 8:43 PM

Try using celtic knots with the color recommendations (strong jewel like colors, and translucent where the light should shine thru).  Love to see what you come up with.  Keep us posted.

Ottercat Coffee

12-25-12 (1843 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 5:44 AM

Maybe a bit late, but i thought i'll show them anyway.... i like every idea for beaded lampshades. the ones on this pictures are made from the owners of www.glasperlen.at, i got one of them as a gift at a beadfest we all celebrated together, they are done with wire and simple glas bead mixes, and its is crocheting with the fingers. quite easy, can't explain it really, but i think its possible to find out just playing with some wire and beads.

my one is at my beading table and such a pleasure to look at.

Cya

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Flutt3r6y wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 1:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestion ottecat but Celtic knots wouldn't work with the base that well. Akita - this'd shades look really cool. Wish I could navigate the sight but I don't read German. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,844
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 6:07 AM

They're beautiful, Akoya, and I wouldn't even DARE attempt one!

Froelich Weinhachten!  (I got to sing Stille Nacht in church!Big Smile)

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS