some new things

This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 17, 2012 10:28 PM

I haven't posted any of my pieces lately, and I decided it was about time I did. 

The first is a bracelet I made a couple of months ago. I love peyote and this one with the flower on top was a lot of fun. 

The second is a necklace I finished just a few weeks ago. It is embroidered with a Chenille stitched chain.

The third is a necklace I just finished this last week. This one was fun to do although it took longer than I expected. The chain wasn't the time consumer, it was the little berries that took forever and a day. But in the end it was worth all the time it took to complete it.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,466
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 12:44 AM

Sue, I love them all..............the colors are the greatest. The red dagger flower is just so cheery, like something I'd wear. Colors on the pendant are perfect for the stone. and the lariat with berries is very springy...........and heaven knows I am really ready for spring already. We had a great spoiler of a summer and we are getting kicked in the butt to pay for it. The fronts coming in now are gale force wind and moments of torrential rain.........ugh. In between the fronts is clears out and the sun shines. Makes me crazy.  Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 277
noodlebead wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 1:32 AM

hi sue, i really like the last neckelace ; the color are so  spring. 

for the bracelet , is beautifull too .

but i wonder for the clasp , it is the first time you try this solution?

or if you ever test this before, that don't break the bracelet  when you wear and open it?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,822
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 3:39 AM

The bracelet made me smile- it made me think spring, which was quite a mood lifter!  The purple necklace did too- for some reason it made me think of the great big forsythia bushes that used to bloom in font of the apartment where I used to live in Watkins Glen.  When I saw those flowers popping out, I knew the weather was getting better.

My favorite of all is the chocolate necklace.  The green stone focal(turquoise, I think?) reminds me of a tinted looking glass.  It's so elegant.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 208
christina66 wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 3:52 AM

Wonderful pieces with lovely colour choices. I particularly like the last necklace.

Christina

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 5:52 AM

How nice to finally see some of your lovely work. All three are fabulous and so different from eachother. Thanks very much for sharing.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 9:12 AM

noodlebead:

but i wonder for the clasp , it is the first time you try this solution?

or if you ever test this before, that don't break the bracelet  when you wear and open it?

Noodlebead, I have used this method before, and I find it works very well. I wanted it to look seamless, and because the flower is the focal and is at the end of the bracelet, I decided to use two snaps instead of the usual closing. I did a larger one right under the flower and the smaller one just off from the larger. You may notice that the ones you can see are both a male and female. I thought that with this it may be a little more secure.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 9:39 AM

Thank you all for the kind words. It has been a very long time since I last posted pictures, and I had all these resent pieces to itching to be shown off.

Val, the focal stone is actually dyed magnesite. Although it looks like turquoise, it is a fake. I love turquoise, however it really is a fragile stone, and I hate it when I spend a lot of time making something and it brakes easily. So for the cost and strength I decided that "faking" it was best. Of course I always tell anyone that buys my pieces the names of the stones. I wouldn't want to lose the trust of any of the people that buy my pieces. The stone is what it is, dyed magnesite.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,822
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 6:21 PM

Interestingly, I like the magnesite better than turquoise, Sue, for the very reason you mention.  I don't like stuff that breaks easily, either.  It's no fun, especially if you're paying good money for it.Sad  That's why seed beads frequently frustrate me.Angry

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
JudyC5201 wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 6:46 PM

Lovely work. I love the dagger flower. Very summery. Also love the green and purple. How do you do the berries?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 10:45 AM

JudyC5201:
How do you do the berries?

Judy,

What I did was, I strung 10-12 size 11/0 then I used size 15/0 (purple) strung 8-10 on my thread. I then went back through the last 4  core beads making a loop from the top to bottom. I repeated this step about 8 times. You will end up with your thread coming out of the bottom of the berry, so you need to add one size 15/0 and go back up through the core bead. Be careful you already have lots of passes though those beads.

You can make different size berries, as I did by added more core beads. Example if you string on 14 size 11/0 and use the last 6 beads for the core of your berry, then I would use double that number or 12 size 15/0. 
The extra beads that you add 14 beads and only use 6 for the berry, this will become the stem of the berry. But this just came out of my head, no set pattern, do as you like.

Making up my design as I went enabled me to add, now and then a size 3mm crystal and seed bead at the end of my berry, it looks like a drop of dew.

These are all seed beads, and not cylinder beads. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
ifightnerdz wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 10:53 AM

This is very classy and professional

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 10:55 AM

Thank you very much, I love all the comments, I must post pictures more often Big Smile

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 12:14 PM

Sue -

I'd be happy to have any, or all, of these in my jewelry box.

I think maybe I will try your dagger flower but make it look more like a sunflower. My Mom's favorite. She doesn't wear bracelets much so maybe a brooch.

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 8:32 PM

Thanks Sue Ellen.  

I wanted a sunflower, but could find a brown rivolis so I settled on a black rivoli. I think it would make a lovely brooch, please share a picture when you finish.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS