Beaded earrings with leather

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 17, 2012 8:57 AM

OK, I'm a little slow going thru my emails this time of year, and was just looking at an email I received from Beading Daily on Dec. 7th...  It is about making leather earrings using the Vintage Big Kick machine.  Jen talks about the materials needed, and she says to use 1/2 inch thick leather.  Would it really fit thru the machine?  After running the leather thru the machine she glues it to ultrasuede and beads around it with the seed beads.  I'm wondering if there is a mistake in the thickness of the leather she refers to?  It looks thin enough when she shows the size 8 seed beads around the leather...  Has anyone actually tried this? 

Thanks!
Terri 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Louweasel wrote
on Dec 20, 2012 3:45 PM

Can you even get leather that's half an inch thick?? Maybe for horse tack or something. Anyway I am sure you are right that it can't be the thing for earrings! You'd certainly never get a needle through it to edge the earrings with beads!

I've just read back the email and it doesn't make sense - my guess is she means 1/2 inch wide, so enough to make the two quarter-inch coin shapes required, or it's a misprint for 1/8 inch. Either way I would use whatever leather you have as long as it is thick enough to emboss (trial and error!) and stiff enough to hold flat (if not you could put some stiff stuff between the leather and the ultrasuede).

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS