Converting post earrings?

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Jenn@55 wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 7:09 AM

Is there a quick/easy way to turn post earrings into dangles?  I haven't been able to wear posts since being preggo w/my first kid, and am now on #2.  I'd really like to be able to wear some jewelry, but only loop/hook/dangles seem not to bother me.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Dec 2, 2008 8:04 AM

A possibility:  If the head of the post earring is large enough to hide the 'keeper', try putting the post through the small eye on a 'french hook', put on the 'keeper' and clip off the rest of the post so it doesn't poke you.  (I cannot remember the proper name, so I called it a 'keeper' - must be 'old-timer's' disease.)

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 8:09 AM

Hello! I have switched several posts or regular ear wires to dangles on leverbacks. You may have to add a jump ring or two to get the dangle to dangle the correct way. And be sure to make sure that the dangle is not backwards. ( I speak from experience. Although very simple to   fix! )

I don't like the post due to talking on the phone for work since the post pokes the side of my neck. So I prefer the leverback so that I don't have to worry about losing them like the regular ear wire. Just my personal choice - not that you asked. 

All you have to do is open the jump ring on the post earring and reattach it to the new ear wire. The only problem you will have is if there is no jump ring. Then that would be an issue as there would be no way to detach the two. 

I hope this makes sense and I would suggest trying a pair that are not your most favorite or expense that first time. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 9:32 AM

My oldest daughter should own some stock in Claire's by now, but her shopping habits aren't the question, are they? Anyhoo, they have an actual "kit" to convert post earrings to dangles. It looks like a leverback with about 4 links of chain and a small flat disc with a hole in the center for the  post to go through. It also has several plastic washers and whatnot to help keep them straight depending onthe actual size of the post earring.

I would not reccommend anyone buying anything from Claire's as they sell the crappiest thrown together junk that I have ever seen wiht the exception of this little kit. I say that only because it would really not be fair to the company to just waltz in and look at how it's put together and then go home and make your own. Spend the $2.00 and take it home for closer examination, then make your own from decent materials. *laughz* I wouldn't make them up to sell, but for my own personal use(well, not MY personal use since I only wear two smallish silver hoops, but those of you who actually wear stud earrings), why not? After all, you did purchase the origional and you are not trying to turn a quick buck.

If you are anywhere near any mall of any kind, there is a Claire's in it, so finding one won't be hard.  

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Dec 8, 2008 1:50 PM

I've been known to use round nose pliers and turn the post into a loop, and use jump rings per Sheila's suggestion to make sure it hangs correctly.  Of course, this can backfire if the posts are cheaply made or not properly soldered (ask me how I know).  It would also depend on where the post is on the earring (top, center, etc) and the weight.  It wouldn't do for it to hang straight down.

Alternately, if the earring has any type of filigree or other holes in it, put jumprings through them so it hangs properly and just cut off the post and file it smooth on the back if possible. Again, whether this works will depend on the quality of the earring.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS