Seed beads?

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 2:37 PM

If my pattern calls for #15 japanese seed beads, is that the same as miyuki's 15 rocailles?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 4:08 PM

tcwhit, yes that should be it. Sometimes I really want the pattern maker to be specific so that I am sure I'm going to use the right ones. If they wanted others it should have read 15 japanese cylinder beads, so I believe you are totally correct. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 5:04 PM

Thanks, Donna. I have a tough time following patterns.......... I wish there was a single name for eveything! And a 15 should be 15 regardless of who makes it, and rocailles be rocailles. Not mixing names and numbers. i spend more time researching and looking things up then actually beading! Not sure where my head is, sometimes.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 939
on Dec 9, 2012 5:06 PM

I'm not sure I agree, with Donna.. If they call for 15/0 Japanese, usually they are referring to "seed beads". If they mention "15/0 cylindrical" beads, than they are similar in shape to Delicas, only smaller. Sometimes the bead color number will denote this for you. As it stands, I'm thinking you are reading a pattern looking for Japanese Seed Beads, not a Smaller 15/0 Delica.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 5:17 PM

Erin, we agree, I just had a brain fart and did not write my answer clearly. I had just gotten through a long detailed descriptive rationale of a project and was major in need of food........... But then again sometimes I write confusingly with no excuse.........LOL. And I used to do a good bit of technical writing, this is what retiring early does. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 6:15 PM

Does this mean the answer is still "yes"?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 9:28 PM

tc, yes, it is still yes.............now I've got buth you AND Erin confuzilated..........sorry. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 303
Sharon Mc wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 3:19 AM

LOL! Now I'm confused, because I understood Donna's original statement to mean exactly what it was intended--that the 15 seed beads and 15 rocailles are one and the same. Maybe Donna's confused talk and my everyday understanding are on the same wave length!

Sharon Mc

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 8:20 PM

Hi all,

I went onto "ASK.com" and here is a good explanation.

"For seasoned jewelry makers, rocaille beads are a must-have. These small, round, glass beads are even in size and are durable, thus perfect for craft use. Rocaille beads are also called seed beads, mostly because of their size and shape. These beads are dual-colored, and the versatile reflection between beads of the same color creates multi-faceted jewelry".

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 8:27 PM

For seasoned jewelry makers, rocaille beads are a must-have. These small, round, glass beads are even in size and are durable, thus perfect for craft use. Rocaille beads are also called seed bead

This is a quote from ASK.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS