How to "use up" beads

This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 10, 2012 5:10 AM

It's absolutely exquisite!  Thank you so much for sharing!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Dec 10, 2012 9:41 AM

This is the first time I have really interacted in a forum.  The bookmark actually had many challenges, even though it looks simple. I hate those directions that say, "oh so easy!!!  Make bookmarks."  Only fellow beaders can appreciate how I really had to have determination to finish the project.  I wanted to "use up" that beautiful round bead I had bought at a bead show.

First of all, it is better to use 15 beads rather than 11 as directed because when you actually use the bookmark, the 11's keep the book open a bit.  So, stringing 15's was harder on my second bookmark (not shown)  Then the fringe with the little fish was not so easy, because the first time I did it I used crimps, and bookmarks get a lot of work. The crimps did not hold.  I have not done much crimping, usually I do seed beading, so maybe that was the reason.  Also, I used 0.019 stringing wire for the main part, but for the fringe, it was too stiff.  So I had to redo them with C-Lon.  The jump rings did not hold up very well either, the fish kept falling off, so I had to buy Snapeez jump rings. Those things work!!!

All in all, it was a great learning experience.  The motivation to keep at it just that one beautiful bead. Oh, and I loved the little fish too!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 7:56 PM

You could try protecting your crimps with crimp covers. :) {If you don't already, that is.} They make the piece look more finished, too, by hiding ugly crimps. I just really started using them today, on 2 Christmas presents I made for friends. I'm hoping they'll help protect the crimps. :)

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laifeng wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 7:58 PM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 7:58 PM

I don't think the crimp covers can save the crimp if the crimp is not on securely.  I think the wires have to be absolutely parallel and they cross over so easily.  I got these tornado crimps, but they do not work with all designs.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laifeng wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 8:00 PM

I also like jewelry because can let me become beautiful

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 1:30 AM

Squee!  I love it, especially the flame clolored beads!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Snarfer wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 1:23 AM

I had the same problem so I subscribed to beadmakingdaily where they publish different patterns every week.

Interpreting services convey your words accurately

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 6:12 AM

I just love this post and the things you showed, using up beads, well there are no rules, for myself i love funny and colorful jewelry and left over beads, ...to be stupid, when i have left over beads i sometimes get tight, like noooo if i use them all up i don't have anymore of them...well i get over it very quick when they become a new funny piece of jewellery...the most i use up with simple chain stich crocheting bracelets with tiger wire, and it allways looks lovley not matter how i arrange them. or as Donna said they allways find a place in embroidery.

Donna the idea of this Challenge is a so sweet idea... i think i will start again one for myself :)), you hooked me....well i still got a colorful herringbone rope not finished were i use up seed beads as well....

think i will dig out some pictures of the crocheting and put them in showcase soon to show how funny that can look.

Cya

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,499
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 1:07 PM

Aunty Akoya, We all enjoyed the challenge, it really showed who has imagination and who doesn't do well in that area. We had 60 days to do this in and one or more bead sessions in between, so that the ladies with "no ideas" got encouragement and support from those of us who had so many ideas. I nearly ran out of almost a pound of glass beads with my projects!! Of course a pound of glass beads was like 2/3 of a sandwich sized zip lock baggie. But we were allowed to add materials from our personal stash............ I added some orange beads from mine, orange Nicole's beadbacking to embroider on and finish the back, small ball and socket clasp and some size 10/o delicas for the background. That was done because my left eye was starting to bother me, normally I'd have done the background stitching in 11/o delicas and gotten more detail into it........

I just talked to the lady who originally contributed a lot of the beads (which were small batches of left over beads from her work) and she said she has more............. I see another challenge in our future...LOL. Donna

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS