Differences in flexible beading wire

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Nov 30, 2012 1:22 PM

Is there an analysis somewhere of the differences between accuflex, beadalon, and about 5 other brands I have seen listed?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 30, 2012 2:24 PM

Carol, I just did a fast google search for "compare beading wire" and found a good technical article on Fire Mtn, an excellent one on ebay written by one of the guides. I think you will do well to read a few of these, maybe even print them out for your reference. Understand that anyone who writes one of these has a bias, they sell one or two of the products and will lean toward them. I have some small spools of Acculon and Sofflex, but I don't do much with wire, I have them for the moments when I need a piece of wire. Also, almost more importantly, is to choose the right crimps for the wire you are using. I bought a kit from a know designer, the wire base for the bracelet was a gunmetal and gunmetal crimps were supplied. I went through every crimp in the package..........thinking that I was losing it because everyone of them failed. But no, I went to my local bead store and bought the right size crimps from them and it worked perfectly. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Nov 30, 2012 3:58 PM

Donna, OH thank you!  Yes, you have to know the correct words to use in a google search, so I cannot thank you enough for "Compare beading wire" --- it was perfect.  Still I am looking for someone who has used these wires and can comment on them, Acculfex?, Softflex?, Beadalon?  Or is it like people who prefer nymo vs silimide, kind of an individual thing. I just do not see how there can be so many different threads and wires?  Is there enough business to support it all?

At any rate, you helped me a lot, because I printed out the info from the three major companies.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 30, 2012 7:15 PM

Carol, any time........... I have a feeling it may be like beading threads. The type of things you make, etc. Like with beading threads, I am always touting Nymo D and Fireline, when someone uses a product like Toho One-G it amazes me because they must be rich. I have a spool of One-G that I bought because someone recommended it. It is 50 yards and cost me $5.00 locally, and THAT is expensive thread!!! Maybe if I made and sold $700 necklaces I could afford to use it exclusively, but I can't. Fireline by the yard is more expensive than Nymo D, but it is also a different type of product.  I just look at this little spool of One-G and put it back away as most of my projects are experimental and for me. I often will cut apart a whole piece that is not going where I want it to, I'd kill me to cut up a whole $5 spool of thread...................

It may be just exactly the same with the wire products. what works best for you personally for what you make, what can you get locally when you run out, how many colors.......... once you are comfy with one of the products you will become very used to it and it would be hard to change. That said I don't know if there is any difference in ANY of them. Just saying. I'd pick through the reviews and buy a spool of similar from the top two or three companies and make a similar project with each (like earrings that you can always use more than one pair of anyway) and then make your own call.

Give us your own personal review afters............we'll be all ears. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 49
SoftFlexGuy wrote
on Dec 5, 2012 12:33 PM

Honestly, I feel your best bet is to ask for samples from the manufacturers you are interested in or visit a bead store with samples and touch and play with the wire.

The more expensive wire will be constructed of higher quality material, but each wire is going to vary as far as flexibility and strength. Everybody is going to view each wire differently.

Touch and feel the wire. Let the wire do the talking.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS