Attaching montees

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 6:33 AM

I've made a bracelet. Can't say it's light and delicate but it's def. NOT chunky. I bought montees to embellish it. Here's my concern: The montees have metal base to sew through. Bracelets get alot of abuse. What in the world can I do to make sure my montees don't break off? I can't use wire because that will make the entire braclet too stiff. In fact, it made it seem almost like a bangle. I don't want a bangle effect. Any and all suggestions would be so helpful. Other then tossing the whole thing, that is Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 566
shanks wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 9:56 AM

You might consider using a heaver weight fishing line like FireLine or PowerPro.  Like 14 lb up to 20 lb. The PowerPro is a softer weave. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 1:52 PM

tcwhit, or if you don't want to buy a whole spool of that heavy weight stuff................ use an 8# and double it. Doubling your Fireline will give you both massive strength and a "back up" strand if anything were to happen. I am pretty sure a double line of 8# will go through the base of a rose montee.

I love rose montees, and yes generally they are wired on with some fairly thin wires, but they were also typically on a brooch and amid other wired on items. The wire I've seen used is more like 28 gauge which is pretty thin. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS