Tube clasp

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 8:53 AM

How do these work? The best I can figure out, perhaps one tube slides into a larger one? I've never seen these, that I remember. It looks like a perfect ending for a bracelet, but would it stand the wear and tear?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,464
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 3:23 PM

tcwhit, They are a lovely way to end a wide bracelet. They do slide together and stay with friction, one of my oldest bead pals had some that were also magnetic, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of that in years, so assume they are not made now. If the bracelet is going to be put on and off a lot eventually you may have to tighten the outer one to create more friction, but that would probably also have to be worn tight and maybe pulled on a lot. The tubes are generally a pretty nice way to finish, they range in size and number of loops also. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 7:52 PM

Thank you for the input, Donna. I'm atttempting to move forward and start on multi-strand bracelets and necklaces and would prefer to start with several strands attached on their own, then if that works out for me, advancing yet again to have them all lead into a single strand/chain/whatever. After my post I found an entire page explaining the different clasps and things (I think on FMG's site) and for what I'm planning right now, I think that tube thing will be wonderful. I was concerned with durability, though, so again, thank you.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,464
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 9:12 PM

tcwhit,

Another small bit of info.........I did a netted necklace in which the instructions had you attach the threads of the horizontal netting right to the ring of the clasp (they recommended a clasp with three small rings on it which I happened to have0 and I did so. After making this lovely necklace I eagerly went to put it on and found the wire part of the hook was very soft. Putting it on and taking it off very very gently is ok, but if it ever got caught on something it would pull right apart. There are several solutions, one is to work harden the wire hook part, another is to actually cut the attachment rings off the clasp and use them as jump rings to connect to a real clasp. So far I have left it along as I can put the necklace over my head, but what I am getting at is that I'd not be inclined to attach the ends of the bracelet or necklace to the clasp, but to a split ring or jump ring which would then attach to the clasp. But then again, I am very picky like that............I have nightmares of people wearing something I made them and it falling apart in front of (prevously) admiring friends. Ugh. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
shanks wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 10:29 AM

To D.M.Z.    My local bead store has the tube findings, 3 and 4 strand that are magnetic, so they are available. I know they come from China, but what findings don't any more.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS