Memory wire

This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 21, 2012 1:55 PM

Help!   I've checked  out memory wire, and it appears that for a bracelet, the loops are about 6 inches and about 13 for a necklace.   Since my wrist is 7 and my neck is 15, will I have any blood circulating when I'm done?Confused

If the wire "remembers" the size it started out, what keeps it from choking fat necks like mine?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 586
shanks wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 3:10 PM

Hi Windy,

I think the article is a suggestion for the size. If your wrist is 7 inches, then the bracelet needs to be at least that large. You also need to take in consideration the size of the beads. If you are going to use 10mm beads, or 6mm beads, the 10mm bead bracelet will need to be about 5/8inch longer than a 6mm beaded one for the same comfort of fit.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 21, 2012 3:35 PM

I wasn't refering to an article, but  several sources that sel  it.  There are only a couple of sizes.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 586
shanks wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 4:33 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The memory wire I am familiar with comes in a roll and you cut it to the length you want. You can put what ever kind of end on, like the screw on balls or make a small loop.  Here is a link that may be of some help  http://www.theartfulcrafter.com/bracelets-one.html

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 21, 2012 5:01 PM

I haven't seen those....please do direct me to where I find that.   All I've seen is the stuff tht looks like a slinky....!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 586
shanks wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 8:06 PM

The slinky look is how the wire comes..  You can cut it to the length you want, one, two, three or more coils.  Be sure you purchase a hard wire cutting tool, if you try to cut the wire with your regular pliers you will destroy the blades.

I gave you a link to a web site, just copy and paste.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 22, 2012 12:41 AM

Windy, Once  you have worked with memory wire you will see your fears are groundless. When you work with memory wire the ends are not constrained to a clasp, they just end. So if you use a standard bracelet wire it will just expand a bit. That makes is a bit tricky to do a pattern if that is what you want, but if you just string beads onto it, the 6" size will just grow to suit your wrist size. It is not tight, the stuff is springy, so it will not strangle your neck or wrist. If you use heavier beads the wire will "relax".......... Years ago I entered a charity auction and bid and won a famous designer memory wire necklace. It was about three times around my neck in actual length, but she loaded up the necklace with a ton of amazing and heavy beads, so the necklace sat on my neck about two times around and hung down sort of like at 20" necklace would. I've worn it many times over the 10 years or so and the memory wire finally just gave up the ghost and sagged into a longer length that would not stay on. I removed the old memory wire and have now converted it to two bracelets of memory wire that go around my wrist about 3+ times.

So, do not worry about being strangled, make up a necklace and bracelet and wear them a bit. Memory wire comes in a long length and you cut it to however many rounds you want. Don't ruin your cutters on this stuff. If you don't have some shears, just measure out the length you want and at the point where you want to cut, just vigorously bend the wire back and forth and it should snap. That does not make for the prettiest cut, but is better than ruining good cutters. This stuff is spring steel and pretty tough. Glue a bead onto the end with E6000 or if your have good arm/hand strength, turn a small loop in the end to hold on the beads.

Hope shanks and I have helped. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 22, 2012 11:44 AM

happy Thanksgiving  :)

I haven't seen anythng as big as 6 inch.....the bracelet ones say a diameter of 2 and something inches and the necklace of  3   5/8     I'm  guessing something must stretch?

Sigh.   Sorry for all  my  dumb questions.  I guess I just don't get it!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 22, 2012 11:44 AM

happy Thanksgiving  :)

I haven't seen anythng as big as 6 inch.....the bracelet ones say a diameter of 2 and something inches and the necklace of  3   5/8     I'm  guessing something must stretch?

Sigh.   Sorry for all  my  dumb questions.  I guess I just don't get it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 22, 2012 1:41 PM

Windy, Yes, the dimension given is correct. If you take a ruler and hold it across your wrist, the 2" shown is the top of your wrist, also add a 2" for the bottom of your wrist and the other 2" represents the depth (of both sides) of your wrist, so what I am thinking is if you are seeing 2" it is the same as some other companies 6".................. Does that make sense to you? Older costume jewelry bangles (the solid round ones with no clasp) were often measured in "inside" width and it was commonly 2-3/4"............ I am sure this could become a thread on algebra and it's formulas LOL, but let's not go there.

I have not remembered seeing memory wire measured as 2" for a bracelet size, it is almost always sized as the distance around one circle of the wire. In looking at my Fire Mtn. catalog I see that they now show the diameter as the size..........so maybe that is changing. I recently bought some for a project and I didn't even notice the sizing difference, I just punched in the code for the bracelet size and the finish I wanted and I got exactly what I needed. I ordered the 2-1/4" and it is about 7-1/2" in it's circular measurement (I just went and hauled it out and measured). Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 22, 2012 2:34 PM

OK...I get it!  Miracles of miracles.....  lthough my neck is way fatter than 3 and 5/8thsHmm  the bracelet math really works! (where's the dancing icon??)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 22, 2012 6:26 PM

Hmmmm, dancing icon? The only thing dancing around here is my boxer girlie..........she got her dad up at 6am, AM so she and her big brother ate real early..........now she is "dancing" around because she has been smelling turkey broth all day.......sigh. When she dances, seismographs record it as a small earthquake, centered on the Oregon coast. Just my biggie sized girl Jolie jumping around, when they both jump around the whole house gets to vibrating........... Jolie is the eyepatch girlie and her biggie sized brother is Zito with the Chocolate ear. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Nov 22, 2012 6:28 PM

Oh, they are adorable!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 7:26 AM

Donna your Boxer girls are great, with boxers i sometimes feel like its possible to have proper conversations with them because they allways answer :)), i love them.... wish i could have a dog friend as well, but my cats won't let me, doh.

Cya

May the beads be with you!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 291
Sharon Mc wrote
on Nov 27, 2012 12:43 PM

Donna, your boxers are wonderfully cute! My husband wants a boxer--I'm reluctant as I hear they are destructive and hyper, but I've always thought they were the most beautiful and regal of dogs. You are a lucky doggie owner to be the mother of TWO!

Sharon Mc

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS