Hi everyone!

This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 16, 2012 6:36 PM

Hello. My name is Jen, I'm almost 32, married to Matt, and I have two girls, Angela is 13 and Abigail is 4.

I am a woman of many talents. I crochet, scrapbook, quilt, sew, decorate custom cakes and have recently discovered jewelry making.   I am interested in learning how to make intricate one of a kind beaded jewelry, but I feel very overwhelmed. I want to try something simple to learn how to read and understand patterns and use what I have without going and spending more money on supplies for every single pattern (I want to make sure this is something I want to and can do before I spend more money on different threads and wires and beads). I have a decent starter collection and have made a few things, mostly earrings and a 3 strand bracelet just to get a feel of working with the different things.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

~Jen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 1:06 AM

Hi Jen, and welcome to the group!

You'll soon discover beading is very addictive.  I enjoy stringing, wireworking and filigree, and I specialize in one of a kind pieces. My clientele like knowing they're not going to see the same piece on half a dozen or more other people.  Thats my style, though.  Others can mass produce their designs, and that's great, yoo!

What kind of guidance are you looking for, particularly?  Let us know and I'm certain one of us can point you in the right direction.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 5:28 AM

Hi Jen, welcome.

It is overwhelming. Beading is very popular at the moment. What I did was just surf on the internet. It will take time but you'll find things that you like and then you can specialize in them.

A site which I found very helpful is 'Beadfriends'. Many, many very clear tutorials. So my advice is: just start surfing. Beading Daily also has many free videotutorials.

Greetings from Karin.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 17, 2012 6:20 PM

Thank you both for the warm welcome!  I have watched most of the videos and have a rough idea of how to start beading. I'm afraid what I have in stock is not what most patterns call for. I have a tube of different colored small seed beads. Unfortunately, I put them in a plastic case and did not take note of the size. I have several other larger beads as well, a fairly large assortment. I have some very thin wire, some thicker wire and some 16 gauge copper wire, some clear filament and some nylon thread. I have flexible needles. I have round tip pliers, flat tip pliers, crimpers, and various findings. Here is some of what I have done so far.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 11:05 PM

Those are very pretty, Jen; especially the last set of earrings.  Sounds like you're decently equipped.  Make sure you have a good pair of chain-nose pliers, too.  You'll find they're your most used pair of pliers in your tool kit.  They are really the workhorse of your pliers.  I can't do without mine!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 20, 2012 6:03 PM

I went out today and got a better pair, the pair I had had small handles and hurt to use them.  I'm planning to make jewelry for all my female family members for Christmas. They are usually my guinea pigs for my crafts.  I have a couple days off from school for Thanksgiving so I will work on a few pieces. I've been watching tutorial videos and so many techniques seem so foreign to me. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ananyest wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 7:55 PM

hello! jen,you are good!Confused

Not Ranked
Posts 3
toietta wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 10:56 PM

Nice to meet everyone, to join the team in the future we care a lot

Not Ranked
Posts 1
davely wrote
on Nov 22, 2012 12:40 AM

This is niceStick out tonguewhat do you think?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 5:45 AM

Hello Jen,

there you got allready a pretty collection of jewellery. I can only repeat what the others said, there is so much free tutorials and help from beaders all over the world in the net. just got to surf a bit, thats how i started too and still finding out a lot of new things to me and what i like.

With the material, if i don't have everything that is needed for a jewellery i try often to make it with the things i got, sometimes it goes wrong, but also sometimes i find a way how to do a variation that still looks pretty. I just need sometimes more patience a i have to start more often than with the right material. Well there is thousands ways to make lovely jewellery.

Cya

May the beads be with you!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS