Design?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 14
BeadingMitsu wrote
on Nov 16, 2012 10:53 AM

I'm a self taught jewelry maker, I started out with simple stringing stuff when I was 16 and now I'm trying to turn this into a more regular income. I hear all over that you need to design your pieces, to have the pieces laid out ahead of time so you can foresee problems and what not. How do you go about doing that? How do you have multiple mediums  of jewelry work in one design...or heck, even accurately portray just one medium? 

I am completely stumped ya'll.  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,506
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 16, 2012 1:06 PM

Beading Mitsu, I have a full sized notebook that is sectioned off into 5 parts by way of a cardboard dividers with pockets (meant for school use with multiple classes in one folder) and I scribble ideas into the different sections as they occur to me. My minds eye sees something and I get the general drift down on paper, then I can look at it a week or month later and decide it is off balance or good or great and then I refine it from there, colors, materials, etc. I also carry a camera with me at all times and snap flowers or things that appeal to me, and I also have a small paper notebook in my purse to scribble on. Also helps when you are talking to a customer on a commissioned piece, get their ideas down on paper so as not to give them something they don't want.

Thinking a project through ahead of time saves problems at the end where all of a sudden you have no clue as to how to finish a piece or how big to make it............ Even if you are not consciously thinking about the idea once you've written it down, your mind will keep it on the back burner and work on it even if you are sleeping.

It is also a good record of things you have made and sold. You can add a little photo of the item to the design page and that again will help you in the future to learn to design better. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Nov 26, 2012 12:30 AM

great ideas!... I wish I had made a photo copy or photograph of all the jewelry I have made and sold.

I like to use computer paper and a three hole punch to put blank sheets in a notebook for ideas. 

I have a notebook of "projects I want to do" and containers of things, I haven't gotten finished yet.Whisper

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 26, 2012 6:24 AM

This will also help me remember what I bought certan items for. Ever wonder what you were thinking at the time you placed the order??? *LOL*

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS