Etsy help

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Nov 15, 2012 1:12 PM

I have recently opened an etsy shop. I have not had much success making sales and I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my store and give me some feedback on what I might be doing wrong. I did purchase some ad space from etsy and facebook. I really cant afford to do much more than that, so if anyone has any ideas on how to increase my sale/views, It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

URL is http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlimmerandGleam

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlimmerandGleam

https://www.facebook.com/GlimmerAndGleam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 559
shanks wrote
on Nov 15, 2012 8:49 PM

Just my 2 cents, but none of the necklaces or bracelets I looked had the length stated. Pictures look good. You are up against 25,000 other jewelry listings which is tough. You might try Google add words and drop out of the 250 adds featured on Etsy.

I think you shipping is at least a dollar too much, most people do not like to be over charged on shipping.  Lots of your things could be mailed for $1.95 plus the padded envelope.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Nov 15, 2012 9:42 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate it, I will change the shipping prices and add lengths :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlimmerandGleam

https://www.facebook.com/GlimmerAndGleam

Not Ranked
Posts 6
lucky rita wrote
on Nov 20, 2012 4:00 AM

Yes, it is not easy to sale products in Etsy. I planed to started to open an etsy shop but finally quit.

I look through your etsy shop. Pic is good but not that eye-catching. People could not see details in their first glimpse. I do not know what is the feeling of you or other customers. I do not feel attracted. But that is not due to your design. To be honest, your design is good. I love some of them.

Back to photos, though you have multiple photos in product page, if people is not attracted at first sight, they will not click to see details. It is nice to learn from your competitors in Etsy, especially the ones who sell much. How they take a photo of their products. How they give products descriptions as well as how they give names to items.

Detail info about item in product page is not that detailed. Take your product, "Amethyst Flower" for example, in description, "for a small wrist" is not concrete. It is not easy for client to buy directly if they just know less.

Also, take your product, "triangle" for example, you make a big mistake in giving the name. People only know the shape of your product but do not know what exactly it is, a pendant,  earrings, charms or other jewelry?  If you add pendant after triangle, when people search pendant, they may find you among results. 

That's my humble suggestions for both you and me because I always made mistakes when I run my jewelry shop, cliobeadsjewelry.

Hope it is helpful and your biz become better and better. 

Rita

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,033
Editor
on Nov 20, 2012 7:07 AM

Here's a couple of things to think about:

1. Opening a shop on Etsy for selling jewelry is hard - you're up against a lot of other sellers, all trying to sell handmade jewelry. So, instead of spending money on advertising space through Etsy and Facebook, use Facebook as a way to market your business. Set up a Facebook page for your business, and suggest that your friends like it. Then, you need to post links to items on Facebook every day - you might want to do an "item of the day" promo where you offer one item at a reasonable discount (say, 15%) for that day only.

You might also want to think about starting a blog where you talk about yourself, your background, and your jewelry. Every time you list a new item in your Etsy shop or complete a new piece, blog about it and include pictures. People love to know the story behind the jewelry they are buying!

2. Take the best pictures that you can. Don't use a cell phone to take your pictures. Taking great photos is probably the hardest part of running an online store, but it's worth it. If you don't have a digital camera, borrow one from a friend. When you're ready to buy a digital camera, buy the best one that you can afford. Again, it's an investment, but well worth it.

If you need help taking pictures, there are a couple of places you can find information here on Beading Daily:

Etsy Sellers Share Their Photography Tips

3 Steps to Better Beadwork Photographs

Photographing Your Beadwork on About.com

Remember that when you're trying to sell online, your customers can't see your jewelry "in person". They are relying on you to provide the best photographs that you can! Do a search on Etsy for your particular type of jewelry, and look at the photos - you'll see right away which ones are going to entice customers to buy.

3. If you can, get out there and set up at a few small craft shows. Avoid flea markets - people will be looking for a bargain, and your handmade jewelry shouldn't be considered a "bargain". Handmade jewelry is a value-added product, so stick with things like farmer's markets and art/craft shows, if you can. Make sure you have business cards, and distribute them liberally! Smile Include your Etsy shop URL, your blog, and your email on your business cards, too.

I hope it doesn't seem too overwhelming. You should also remember that it takes time to build up a following on Etsy! So, don't worry - you just opened your shop in September, give it some more time!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 11:49 PM

I just took a look at your Etsy shop.  If you want to sell jewelry on Etsy, you need to invest in a good camera and learn how to use it.  Many of your pictures are fuzzy.  You also need photo-editing software on you computer to touch up the photos you take.  Photos need to be at least 1000 pixels in either direction for them not to come out fuzzy. If you have photo editing software, you can make all of your photos square by adding a canvas to them after they are cropped, and that will eliminate Etsy cropping your images and cutting off part of the photo.  All photos on Etsy need to be completely square to avoid their automatic cropping.

I see that the black background you are using (a black necklace bust?) is covered in hair.  That is a turn off to buyers.  You need your photos to look as professional as possible.  It's okay to use a necklace bust for the black background, but go to Walmart and get one of those lint rollers and clean up the hair.

My third observation...........Your item titles and descriptions need some work.  Honestly, a lot of work.  Your two- or three-word item titles will not bring people to your site.  You need to describe exactly what you are selling using words that you yourself would type into a search engine to find that item.  Take a look at my Etsy stores (links below).  Look at my item titles and notice how descriptive they are.  You need to be as descriptive as possible to bring people to your site.  

Your item descriptions offer very little in the way of information about your items.  You need to be creative!  Be sure to mention item dimensions, colors, what type of material you used to make it, and make the description attractive to read.  If you read any of my Etsy store item descriptions you will see what I am talking about. 

I hope this information helps you!  Good luck on your Etsy sales!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 6:34 AM

Hello glimmer!  While I'm not in a position to help you, yet, you have helped my by posting this.  I love what you've done and I have liked your F.B. page.  Looking forward to seeing you succeed. Yes

~Francie 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 6, 2013 1:39 AM

Hi there,

Great points already made!  It takes quite a while to "get used" to being on etsy, and figure out all the bells and whistles.  Here's my two cents!

-Yes better pictures!  I would suggest trying different props to photograph your jewelry on.  I love picking up pretty plates, candle holders, etc to drape jewelry over.  Different etsy sellers do different things.  Some even just use a piece of wood or a piece of paper!  Just experiment and see what looks best.

-Add a banner to your shop.  Make one up with some sort of editing program (I use photoshop), have a friend make one up for you, or even purchase one off etsy.  (Make sure to look at past work if you buy)

-Yes better Titles!  The more keywords in your title, the more people will find your items.

-Also better descriptions.  Make sure to include necklace and bracelet measurements.  Do you ship out items in gift packaging?  If you do, include it in your description.

My best advice is to look around on etsy.  Look at other sellers listings that are selling, and try it out yourself.

Most of us on etsy are till learning!  Good luck!!

-Ashley

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS