Making cabs, what finish?

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 14, 2012 7:22 PM

I've seen such lovely cabs on this site, I can only assume people have made these themselves, so I decided over the weekend to try my hand. Not wanting to get into the resin craft as well as everything else gon on here, I cut images (tiny) from different magazines, and hunted through the barn and garages for bits of wood and things to use. Not going to buy scrabble pieces or dominoes. Found a few bits of wood and needed to sand them, and actually "carve" one bit to a more symetrical (sp?) shape, and used an actual stone for another. After starting out with craft glue for decoupage, I decided to finish them off with a few coats of polyurethane. Without the poly. they just wouldn't last. I'm sort of happy with the outcome, but I don't like the really glossy finish. Anyone know what I can use instead that will still protect the pictures?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 14, 2012 10:46 PM

Yup, two words-- Mod Podge. You can pretty much get it anywhere, including Wally World, and you can get it in a number of finishes, including matte and semi-matte.  It's not expensive either.  Just make sure you get the right kind-- for jewelry projects, I think.  You'll need a soft bristle paintbrush, too.  Ta da!Big Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 6:20 AM

Tcwhith and Val, thanks for that post, sounds very interesting to me, i got to figure that out. If you have success with you experiments would you maybe put up a picture. I am very intrigued how that could look.

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 12:48 PM

Val-the mod podge is a glue, not a finish. I need to protect the images. that why i used polyurethane. I used the mod podge for the original glues coats, then after my paint coat, you still need an 'outer coat' otherwise it can get wet and ruined.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 12:52 PM

Hi Aunty- I did not have succes with the stone, the ones on wood and metal are still in the works. The completed pieces that I used the polyurethane on, I discarded as I didn't like the high gloss finish. I will try again though! The images are everywhere you look, I used them from magazines, mostly gardening ones. You dont want to use images from an ink jet printer as the glue can make the ink run. I'm sure there is probably a way to make them work, but I'm not interested in that right now. Easier to cut pics from magazines. Cheaper too, ha ha.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,520
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 1:38 PM

tcwhit, how adventurous and artistic of you. I'd look at Krylon matte or semi-matte sprays for the finish. I don't know that it would last as long as the poly, but in fact it might work OVER the poly to take the shine down a bit. Matte Krylon is something I used forever for things like paper beads where  you also do not want a high glossy finish. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 26, 2012 4:17 AM

Well heck, my brain left for vacation ahead of the rest of me- you're right!  Oops!  I like Donna's idea of using matte Krylon, though. Krylon's pretty sturdy, and all-weather, too.  My mother uses it to protect her garden statuary, don't see why it wouldn't work on your cabs.

Val

www.boutiquev.us

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS