getting the curl out of the wire

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
jenfog wrote
on Nov 11, 2012 7:07 PM

UGH..... Please help!! I am new to the world of beading, new to beading daily, and new to the forum concept. Please share your wisdom with me, and have patience with me. . . I struggle with using string because it is so hard to thread the needle....bad eyes. I prefer to use the wire, however, Ihave noticed alot of curling with some of the rolls I've bought.... how do I get rid of the curl.....Please share your wisdom and advice with me...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,464
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 12:50 AM

Jen, what sort of wire are you trying to use? Generally, using pliers with nylon jaws and running the pliers down the length of wire that you are going to use will straighten it. You can also sort of home brew your pliers by wrapping them with multiple layers of tape. You don't want to scratch or score the wire, so just be cautious.

There is a trick to threading your needles. First make sure you are not trying to put thick thread through a fine needle, it just won't work. But try this, and I hope I can explain it clearly, take and pinch your thread having cut it clean and at a slight angle, between your thumb and first finger just so it is not more than barely visible. Next put your needle right in that same spot and slowly open those two fingers outward. This will automatically push the thread through the eye of the needle. I also have poor eyesight and some days I thread needles like a pro, others I just struggle with it.

I normally work with 11/o delicas and my standard needle is a John James or Tulip in a size 10. That gives a good chance of threading easily. My threads of choice are both Nymo D and Fireline 6#, both of which will work well for that size needle. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS