Beads from rose petals

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 3:04 AM

Hi. I asked this in another forum, but no luck so far.

I was asked by a bride-to-be yesterday if I knew how to make beads from the roses in her wedding bouquet as a way of preserving them. Ah, no. I didn't know, and hadn't heard of such a practice.

Apparently, you boil the petals, process and dry them, then mould them into beads, and string 'em. They lose colour, but retain some fragrance.

Has anybody else actually done this? How does it work? How long do the beads last? Any tips?
Love to know ...

Ruth

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 8:26 AM

Hi Ruth:

There is a tutorial called "How to make heirloom beads from rose petals."  It is at:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-heirloom-beads-rose-petals-333711.html?cat=24

ScottishSue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 1:10 PM

Ruth, Somewhere in the past I met someone who made them, she also added a drop of Rose Geranium oil to the mix at the point where it was going to be molded. I bought some rose beads at least 5 years ago, they were a bit strong and I just put them aside...............they are still holding their smell a bit and these were also colored black which I thought was odd, but if they darken so much after all that air drying that might be the only thing to do to them. Interesting project. I'm sure they would not dry ever where I live........next to the ocean. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 1:20 PM

Hi Sue and Donna.

Many thanks for your replies ... I shall check out the tutorial, and pass it on. Hee, it's a quick way to smell the roses, yes? The idea of adding aromatics and even dye is a thought!

Cheers

Ruth

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 11:49 PM

Rose Petals mixed in a "Iron Skillet" will make them turn black. (its permenet too).

If you want to add a tint to keep a certain color, use Glass and wood No metal when making them.

I haven't made them in years.  I found pattern the other day(while looking for something else.

I always made the beads while they were warm.(rolled by hand, now they have PMC tools to make beads would make rose petal beads uniform.)

just a thought

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS