ifightnerdz - new guy posting up

This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
ifightnerdz wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 7:54 PM

Here are a few of my latest necklaces.  This first one was 1 of 2.  If I can get with the friend i gave the first one to i will take a picture as that one's centerpiece had some sort of quartz claw with tan, cloudy and clear tones to it that matched the colour pattern here perfectly.

My wife tries to challenge my shallow mind.  I prefer to make single string, symmetrical patterns.  I feel it should have had one more colour to the random mix, but I can't put my finger on it.

This is one of my most treasured pieces.  I found this piece of quartz in Omak on a mountain one of my cousin's own.  They have a spot exposed to the weather that was a crude quarry used by natives.  I found this piece as is sticking out of the ground.  It makes for great conversation around the bonfire ; )~

This is one of my more ingenious inventions.  The ending of the Macrame necklaces is clean and sturdy.  They look more professional than your typical large-bead-and-loop ends.  When i was a teenager I had hoped the professional look would net me sales.  Alas, my store Knotty By Nature never made money.

This was a project I made my wife last year.  It is in some obvious need of fixing.  I might take some more pictures of the clasp and the division of the strands to solicit ideas.  The idea was good, it has a nice solid weight to it, just needs some tweaking.

This is my latest project.  It needs fixed int he middle.  I am leaving the picture bigger so you can see it.  I would love ideas for how I could clean up the design in the middle.  As is, the upper strand is too long to let the necklace curve the way it should.  Also the design in the middle 3-4 inches leading up to the centerpiece doesn't look very professional.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 11:22 PM

If your handle is Ifightnerdz, then how come your avatar is Robert Picardo's Doctor from Star Trek: Voyager?(ROTFL!)  Sorry sweetie, not much gets past me; I'm a mega sci-fi geek: Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Farscape......I've even seen Red Dwarf; just found it a bit too silly for my peace of mind.( I can hear the fans now- blasphemy!)  I even watch the occasional eppy of Supernatural, and two of my fave cult sci-fi films of all time?  Bladerunner, and The Fifth Element.  Scary, isn't it? (and yes, I am a Trekkie!  Have I totally freaked you out yet? lol)

I think the necklace with the elephant is adorable.  My favorite would have to be the green one with the stunning green lampwork glass pendant.  Oh, yeah, rub it in that you've got a place to go find natural crystals!  It's a lovely piece of quartz.  The situation wtih your ends and clasp is that a)you need to glue cord caps on to them to finish the ends are complete and don't fray, and b) the toggle you used is too small in proportion to the neclace itself.  If you want to stick with using a toggle clasp, you need to size it up, so the proportions are more even.  Clients do appreciate the professional touches.  When I design my neclaces, I use wire guardians; they prevent the beading wire from fraying.  They don't cost a lot and they're an extremely worthwhile investment.

Your fourth one is nice, but I'm not sure that all the colors work well with one another; some of them seem to clash.  But that's my opinion only.  And perhaps maybe instead of beading all the way up to the clasp you might want to consider substituting some delicate silver style chain, instead?  Again, these are only my suggestions.  I'm hoping they might spark some ideas for you.

As for the final one?  Hmmm......now that one's kind of a toughie, 'cos I rather like it just the way it is.  I really don't see why you'd want to change it.

Hope I was able to give you a different perspective that will give you a jump-start. You really have some lovely pieces.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 313
Niwas wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 12:59 AM

Some really nice pieces!!
I do think Val´s suggestion about a bigger clasp to the makramé necklace i a good idea.
I do like the simplicity of it thou.

on The third one i would have put a chain in the back, and maybe had one colour that came on all three strings to make them "belong together" , maybe the red bacause you end with the red in the bigger beads.

The last one, Do not touch it, I really like it as it is Big Smile
So my colours (or lack of them) i like dark not to much bright colours on me.

REally nice to see you´r work,hope to see more Smile   /Niwas

Hope you all are having a great day.
If you want to see more made by me please visit my Faebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NiwasSmycken?

Not Ranked
Posts 11
ifightnerdz wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 10:58 AM

Yeah I was wondering when someone would comment on my name.  To make a long story short I am a video gamer.  This has been my handle since I was maybe 14?  I keep the handle because it is a bit of my trademark.  It is also my email address, which makes for interesting conversation when I am apply for a job or confirming my email to the power company or phone company.  I am a total sci-fi junkie.  Currently my wife and I are watching the Voyager seasons on netflix.  Before this we finished Stargate Atlantis(we were devestated with each Stargate shows demise), which ended with Picardo(Richard Woolsley) as the head of the Atlantis team.  We like his character on Voyager much better!  I thought about posting up Stephen Colbert as my avatar as well.  Also I used to love Red dwarf, although it has been a really long time since I have seen episodes.  My favourite was when the black dude found out that the catman evolved from the black guy's cat(after he was frozen in stasis) and ended up fighting a religous war over the colours of the italian restaraunt the black dude wanted to start.

Aside from that, thank you for the ideas, I will think about upgrading the clasp on the macrame piece.  I didn't really think that was a problem and it is more of a piece to show off worn than anything.  TYpically me or my wife wear it when we go to the barter faire.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 225
Sharon Mc wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 3:23 PM

The first and second necklaces are lovely and I wouldn't change a thing. Especially the green necklace, since green is my favorite color and I do think you have a nice mix of colors already and do not need to add any more as you were suggesting.  As for the macramé necklace a larger toggle and end caps for the rope ends to make them look finished as Val suggested. Beadshop.com has end caps and other wonderful supplies for macramé and rope (I love their site, it is all eye candy).  The third necklace is nice, I just think it would sit better on the neck if the four to one string reduction occurred on a one to four link instead of a bead. You can get the link at any online bead store. As for the last necklace I do not have any suggestions except to say that maybe you could look at similar pendant necklaces that you like and see what it is that you think that necklace has that yours is lacking.

I enjoy looking at your work and hope to see more of it! 

Sharon Mc

Not Ranked
Posts 14
grammajojo wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 3:52 PM

I think your work is fine.  The last necklace? Only thing I would suggest is maybe placing the pendant on the other string if that is possible. Maybe it would hang better that way? 

I like your name, hope that means you don't dislike "Big Bang Theory"? 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
ifightnerdz wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 5:40 PM

The pendant itself is so heavy I had to put it through both strands.  Also the loop on the pendant is quite large.  I think the pattern just needs ot be changed up a little, i am going to place the beads out this weekend and look at them again.  One thought I had that would clean up the transition through the pendant's whole is to put the dual whole swarzkov(sp?) beads on either side of the pendant.

HA ha I love the name.  I used to be an avid gamer.  I used to make vidoes of PVP(when you go and kill other players) put them to nice music tracks and add some fancy editing.  Needless to say, if any of you or your kids played an MMO called Lineage 2, they might have heard of me.  I do not have any of my videos on youtube, I used megaupload which got shut down by the FBI.  I need to upload all of my old videos.  Here is a link to the game, video is a friend of mine.  I forewarn you, the music is not safe for families or workplaces.

I cant remember how I came up with the name, but everytime you mention it, it brings a laugh.  I love the big bang theory although I do not watch it much. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 9:55 PM

Not much gets by me, dude!  The irony of your handle is actually pretty amusing. No, please don't put up Colbert, either leave up Picardo or put up your own pic.  OMG, I remember that Red Dwarf eppy; it was bizarre, but funny!  I'm catching up on my DW eppys because the stupid cable company took BBCAmerica away, so I only got to see Matt Smith's premeire seaon as the Doctor.  At the end of the month, my dad is dumping cable tv and switching us to satellite and at last I'll have my beloved Beeb back, just in time for the Christmas eppy!  Yay!  I like Matt Smith's Doctor very much; he's quite humorous, but also sad and stern, much like Christopher Eccleston's Doctor was, only he doesn't try to copy Christopher.  Of course, I grew up with Tom Baker, and his crazy scarf!  He's still alive, btw, and looks just like he did, except his hair is all grey, now.

Hope the ideas help.  Yes, you certainly don't want to lose that necklace; it's much too nice.  BTW, my avatar?  That's actually me.  And I''m even thinner than that now.  But yup.  That's definitely me.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 3:18 PM

hi Nerdz,

two of your necklaces are a favorite for me too, the quarz with the macrame and the next one the colorful project for you wife, they got a (i don't no a proper expression for it) very refreshing rustic beauty, lovley.

Oi another gamer, i am one too, not playing so much like some years ago, beading got priority know, but i still play shooter and tactical games with my fiance when he is abroad in his home in England, in that time thats often our couple hobby time, its much better than just sitting on the phone because its a lot of fun beside chattering. Do you play on PC or Consoles, and which games?

Doh can't look at the video, i live in Germany, they have stupid restrictions(not sure if its the right word)...

Beads Ahoy

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
ifightnerdz wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 5:36 PM

Thank you!  When i go to fix my wife's project I will take a picture of the necklace I modeled it off of.  I appreciate all the comments! 

I used to play Lineage 2, an MMO similar to Lineage 2.  I say I play, but i mostly used third party programs to automate gameplay and sell the farming for USD.  It was a fun game and I actually met my wife through it.  She was the enemy and I was a spying on her clan for mine.  lol.  I used to play alot of shooter games, but my wife severely restrivted that when our children were born.  I only play PC games.  I still play Team Fortress 2, it is a comical shooter game.  I also play a strategy game called Civilization 5.  I really miss Lineage, it had a high capacity for griefing people and the social element made things interesting.  Which games do you play?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 5:27 PM

Hi Nerdz,

that game lineage2 looks like fun, its a RPG right? have played RPG for a long time, but long ago, one i liked was Dark age of Camelot Online and all of that Final Fantasy and lots more, can't remember them all. haha thats funny you met your wife in the game, that must have been a lot of fun to get friend with the enemy :oD, i can imagine it so well, as i had all that clan wars too. It was the same for us, i have get known my fiance in the game battlefield bad company, which we still play sometimes (to be soppy: on our marriage invitations will be pics of our avatars as well, in wedding dresses). we have met to be a team and have a laugh on the battlefield for a year at every sunday until we finally met in person and got a couple, he lives in England and i am Germany, so we have been thoughtful first as a longdistance relationship is not easy., know we travel a lot since 4 years and he lived allready a year in germany as well. who says gamers are nerds who will never meet someone because they don't get out of the house?? hihi its not true :), thats what all friends of my boyfriend said, that he will never find a woman for life with such a stupid hobby...and there i was, its still a joke in the family. Civilization i remember too, but i never was good in it. Well with children it is good to play not in front of them, such games can sneak into the dreams and they would maybe get nightmares, who knows. oh and i had changed some years ago from PC to XBox, it was simply cheaper, think i had played all sorts, apart from sports games, but now i only play what my finace got as the beading got number1 Hobby since almost 2 years now, yay. my fiance is helping me out with some tutorials sometimes when i don't get the logic, but i can't get him to like beading, doh. Does your wife like to create jewellery as well?

Cya

Not Ranked
Posts 11
ifightnerdz wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Hi Aunty,

My wife doesn't bead much herself, although she does enjoy it.   I think she likes to not bead so much because it gives me a little freedom to be creative?  not sure.  She is a huge crafter.  She spins her own yarn and hand dyes alot as well.  She has an etsy store and a blog @

I completely understand about not being able to play certain games in front of the kids.  It was one of my biggest issues with "growing up," but I am taking it in stride.  We have met a few other people, we have friends that come from Germany to visit us.  One of my best friends form the game lives in Florida.  I have a feeling he is going to propose to his gf soon, so I have set aside money to attend the wedding.  Our own wedding was small, courthouse wedding and a nice dinner.  It is nice to know you are from germany.   Vielleicht kann ich mein Deutsch auf Sie üben?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 7:59 AM

Hey nerd, i couldnt keep up with the forum last week, i was a bit ill. Thanks for the adress to your wifes blog, i will show that a friend who is dreaming about spinning yarn too, shes mad for everything with wool, crocheting and so on. Its a great blog by the way, the owl i would love the same like your cute daughter does :)).

Vielleicht kann ich mein Deutsch auf Sie üben? :)))) hihi natürlich... so for the first exercise, the right way to say would be: Vielleicht kann ich mein Deutsch mit Ihnen üben?.....if you would have fun with it and time for it sometimes, we could start a German-English Exercise thread, so that no one would be annoyed about german spam in the forum and can just ignore it, just an idea :), but maybe better with private message. as i am learning a lot here for my english, why not the other way around too. If you got german questions i am allways willing to help, just got to send me a message. How about i send you links to free tutorials for jewellery where i know they have german and English text. But i only know one so far and put them in the forum anyway if i got something that could be interesting for everybody. There is accidently one i made bracelets of that i will post here in a bit ...

All the best to you and your family

Cya

Aunty Akoya

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 2, 2012 9:31 PM

May I make a suggestion concerning the last piece (if it's not too late)?  In the middle section on the upper string, remove a couple of beads to shorten (15 to 11 beads instead).  From the left square (silver?), brown-faceted-brown-bugle-brown-(remove:  faceted-brown)-bugle-brown-(remove:  faceted-brown)-bugle-brown-faceted-brown-right square --or-- 1,2,1,3,1,3 (middle),1,3,1,2,1 (1=small brown bead, 2=faceted bead, 3=bugle bead).  This might also help the necklace to curve better by shortening the inner strand.  I wouldn't change the rest of your piece.  Nice work.

Ottercat Coffee

12-02-12 (1928 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Not Ranked
Posts 16
sherriema wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 7:54 AM

well i love 2 and 4 as is, but all of them are pretty cool

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS