Viking knit bracelet

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 427
ss10001 wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 5:10 PM

I learned a new technique and I'm having such fun!  It totally amazes me that you can go from messy to slinky just by dragging it through a draw plate!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 5:21 PM

Oh wow, I can see why you are intrigued. It's fabulous. What's this technique called?

Greetings from Karin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 10:50 PM

It's soooooooo pretty!  Me likey.  Me wanty!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 315
Niwas wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 5:12 AM

Oh my that looks like something I made a year ago even the ending is similar. Except you´r turned out great and my doesn´t Big Smile

I think i need to try it again, and doing it correctly  this time, beacause yours is really making me think  "I want!!!"
wearing mine i think ,hope it doesn´t fall apartSadConfused

Hope you all are having a great day.
If you want to see more made by me please visit my Faebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NiwasSmycken?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Nov 8, 2012 11:22 AM

Its Amazing!! :) 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 255
Sharon Mc wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 1:54 PM

OOOOOoooooooh! I can think of lots of fun ways I can wear that! Very pretty and looks way too complicated. By the way, what is a draw plate? It sounds like a device that could harm your wire work, not make it better.

Sharon Mc

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 427
ss10001 wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 5:32 PM

Not nearly as complicated as you'd think.  A draw plate is just a wooden or plastic paddle with graduated sized holes drilled in it.  So once you loop your wire around the dowel to form the tube, you slide it off the dowel & pull it through the first size hole it fits through and then keep pulling it through smaller and smaller holes until you get the size/length you want.  Each time the weave gets smoother and more even - and don't ask me how that works, but it does!  I think if you use coated wire, the draw plate can scratch off your coating, but I've heard Zebra wire is coated well enough that it doesn't!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 529
shanks wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 8:35 PM

Hi, glad to see another Viking knit person on here. Looks like I will have to post a couple of my things.

Paramount wire is also a good one. The only color that has given me a problem is their white finish. All the other colors seem to work quite well. I like to do most of my work using 28ga, but just finished a 26ga necklace from a 1/2 inch rod. Came out pretty nice. When I make earrings i like to use a 1/8 inch rod and 30ga wire.

Good knitting.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 2:58 PM

What a beautiful bracelet sherri, i adore this technic too and gaze at lot, seeing this it prickles in the fingers, but got focus for now on my beading things or i go mad with spending money. sigh so this got to wait a bit longer,....but allready looking at tutorials and informations about tools...

i look forward to see more of your knitting sherri and shanks!

Beads Ahoy

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 570
debbiela wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 3:57 AM

Nice Job.  I did viking knit some time ago.  It's very addictiing. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS