Nylon Thread

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
peyotegary wrote
on Nov 6, 2012 3:57 PM

Hi Beading Buddies...I have been beading and everything related to it for about 9 years and a Fireline addict. Am thinking about trying Nylon for a change. What are the pros/cons of same? Thanks, PeyoteGary.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
bellepate wrote
on Nov 6, 2012 4:24 PM

I, too, am a Fireline addict!  I use Nymo only with my bead embroidery, and I hate the stuff.  I know, I know - there are beaders out there who will use nothing else; some very brilliant beaders I admire very much only use it -  but for me it's just too much hassle.  It kinks and knots and frays and breaks too easily.  I use it only when I absolutely have too. You could find you adore using it, though.  My pros and cons are strictly mine - you should find your own by trying it; won't cost you anything but time and a couple of bucks!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,951
SEllen 2 wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 10:59 AM

Another Fireline addict giving her 2 cents worth.

I use fireline for most everything. But I have been trying to find something a little less expensive for me of late. I cannot buy Fireline locally I must buy on line and with shipping it can get rather expensive. I have tried the Nymo thread and I hate the stuff for me it was a waste of money.  Now I use it only when I absolutely must. Then I use it for bead embroidery only.

I have recently tried the SoNo thread and I'm liking it so far for my bead weaving. Haven't tried it yet on my bead embroidery. It's cheaper than the Fireline and it also comes in a few colors. I get more yardage with the SoNo than with the Fireline. If it works on my bead embroidery then it will be even better.

I agree with bellepate though...it really is a matter of personal preference as to which thread is easiest to use.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,466
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 12:33 PM

PeyoteGary, Try out Nymo, it is the best of the "old guard" of threads. It started as a thread for shoemakers and was discovered by beaders who previously had worse threads. Nymo has it's pros and cons and for you it will be a personal decision.

I use both Fireline and Nymo and prefer Nymo unless I need real strength like a bracelet that will need a lot of strength to hold up. Nymo on the small bobbins is thinner than that on the cone. The cone Nymo is "da bomb". As you go to use it, pull off your quantity, then stretch it and thread your needle and go to work. I use no more than 2 yards and it depends on the stitch. I do wax my Nymo. With a stitch like square, your thread path goes in circles a lot, same with RAW and periodically you need to hold up the thread and let it unwind. That will keep it from tangling and knotting.

For loomwork, I warp in Fireline, but do the weft in Nymo D, the Fireline gives it strength but doing a whole project in Fireline makes it too rigid and it doesn't have a nice feel to it, doing the weft in Nymo gives me a lovely "fabric-y" texture. So Nymo D is a valuable addition to your work if it makes what you need.............. Some folks really do have a problem with Nymo, but I have no clue as to why. Take care.. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 10
AbbyI@2 wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 3:36 PM

I, too, am a fireline addict.  I have found fireline is cheaper if I buy it from an "outdoor" store where it is sold for its' original purpose; fishing.  I have had great success with Cabela's which is the least expensive I have found to date.  They have it in all weights, colors (well the limited colors we all know and love) and lengths.  Don't know if that will help you much but I thought I'd pass it along.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
bellepate wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 4:43 PM

Yes, Abbyl!  I've always gotten mine in 300yd spools from Cabela's....but have recently found that Bass Pro is a little cheaper, even with shipping.  Check 'em out.  As far as colors go, I use the smoke for 99% of everything.  I find it "disappears" better than the crystal (white, really!)...but if I really need color in the thread, I run the crystal thread through a Sharpie permanent marker.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 5:44 PM

Have you checked out Dickssportinggoods.com? They also carry the Fireline. I am not sure of any of the shipping charges for the different sites, because I am fortune enough to live within 15 miles of all of these stores. Plus Walmart also has it, and if you can have it shipped to the nearest store to you, there is no shipping charge. At first look, it doesn't look like they have it online, but if you do a search for "Fireline" in the sporting department it will pop up. 

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS