Beaded bail for shell disk

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 138
larissa@4 wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 4:43 PM

I have a  shell  disk pendant  like this

http://www.mailorder-beads.co.uk/shop/white-shell-large-disc-pendant.html

I`d like to make a beaded bail for it  to hang  the  pendant on this seed beads spiral

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

ps The disk has a very narrow hole.

A wise man hears one word and understands two.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 8:06 PM

hi larissa,

the only idea that pops in my head would be a peyote rhombus, with tiny seedbeads, around the necklace and closed/sewn on the tops in the hole of the pendant if that is not to little. My description is not very good i think, do you know what i mean?

Greetings

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 9:12 PM

My main problem with this would be the small hole in the shell....... First off, I'd use a headpin and make a bail out of it for the strength of the wire. Then you can bead any sort of peyote or brick "saddle" to loop over the necklace. I did one recently like that and used both colors of the necklace (in my case twisted herringbone) and made a ladder that tapered to both sides and one stitch in from the edge I used the second color from the necklace, while the majority of the bail was the other color. I stitched it a bit loose as brick doesn't like to bend in that direction, but you could turn my idea sideways and do it in peyote which is more flexible because of less thread through the item overall.

Let us see what you decide on, ok? Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 138
larissa@4 wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 8:30 AM

Good idea, certainly I will try it. Thank you !

A wise man hears one word and understands two.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 12:41 PM

That sound very good your describtion Donna, though i can't imagine it perfectly how to do it so it looks decent, and if i could really work it out like that. i definitly keep that in mind myself....

would be interessted to see how your necklace looks, is it posted somewhere to have a look?

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS