Using buttons as focals

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Ladybrook3 wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 9:04 AM

How do I use buttons with shanks as focals and get them to not twist around?

Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,502
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 12:20 PM

Ladybrook3, that is a difficult question to answer without knowing more about how advanced you are in beading, what the button looks like, what kind of shank, etc. But, in general if I had a nice sized button and I wanted to use it as a focal, I'd put it on a longish rectangular "patch" of beading that I'd make, I'd leave a hole or slot in the center bottom to hold the button firmly, and then sew on the button, fold the top of the "patch" over to form a loop and attach the loop to your necklace.

Another way of keeping the button hanging straight would be to add another loop near the top or the button and use the two loops to stabilize the button into position.

Hope this helps you a bit, if not write back with more info on what you are actually attempting to do. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Ladybrook3 wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 2:57 PM

I am using three buttons in a two strand necklace. The large button is the center focal, and the two smaller ones are halfway up the sides where I've then attached gold chain to finish it out. The buttons have short plastic shanks. What I've done is loop the two stands around one side of the shank and crimped it and continued with the same idea with all the buttons. What I think I need to do is put some type of bar through the shank and attach it to the wire on each side so that the button will stay put and not flop or twist. 
I'm not super skilled with different techniques, although I am venturing into new ideas 
Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
shanks wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 4:27 PM

Hi, 

Might take a short piece of wire and push it down over the smallest part of your round nose pliers, making a loop with two ears sticking out.. Take this and put the loop up through a little piece of cloth. You now have a sort of button shank. You will need two. Glue the cloth and wire where you need them and run your thread around so as to stabilize the button so it will not flip. I have a hard time explaining, but it works.  Little buttons are another matter.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS