Hello

This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
pernmoreta wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 2:03 AM

My name is Rae, and I'm just barely getting started beading.  Can anyone reccommend a good inexpensive very basic book for complete beginners? 

Many thanks

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 160
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 3:32 AM

Hello Rae, welcome to beading! I'm sure you will have plenty of fun beading all kinds of projects. To get started I suggest you try "The Absolute Beginners Guide: Stringing Beaded Jewelry" by Karin Buckingham & also, " Bead Simple: 150 Designs for Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets, Embellishments, and More" by Susan Beal. Good luck ;)

xXFantasyXx

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 9:16 AM

Hi Rae, and welcome to the wonderful world of beading!  You can also try the e-books here, as well as the video tutorials.  They're absolutely free!  The video tutorials in particular I  found very helpful, because you could see the technique being done.  Enjoy!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 4:44 PM

Hello Rae,

do you know allready which kind/technic of beading you like much, because there is lots nice books for beginners in every technic, maybe just have look around in amazon for example. What i did, i had a look what material i got and then took a choice which book suits. Or the other way around, picked a book where i adored the jewellery and then gone shopping to get the material i needed....i prefered that way.

A nice affordable book with a bit different basic techniques, is the "Compenidum of Beading Techniques" from Jean Power, for sure its possible to get everywhere, for an example to have a look:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compendium-Beading-Techniques-Jean-Power/dp/184448436X

Cya

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
pernmoreta wrote
on Oct 26, 2012 10:54 PM

Thanks so much everybody for your suggestions.  I will certainly look into them!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 28, 2012 11:00 PM

warm welcome to beading daily forum. check out the "free projects' on this site. I "Google" or search on Bing for How to for anything I want to learn. there are tons of U tube video's out there. 

most local library's have How to books also.

Best of luck

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 5:30 AM

There is a woman by the name of Kelly from Off the Beaded Path. She has posts on you tube and she's incredibly patient and shows you every step of what she's making. Even if you don't make the same item she is making on the video, she's worth watching. VERY good instructor. She shows how and why we might change directions, even allows her mistakes to be shown. What I think I liked best was she did not say things like "Use RAW for the next 3 rings" She actually shows each bead as it's being added and repeats it over and over. Wonderful for beginners, I think.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 7:25 AM

Are you putting in Off the Beaded Path into YouTube?  I want to check it out because if it's who I think it is, then I know her, and she's at the store in Occoquon, VA that I shop at.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,306
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 11, 2012 9:07 AM

Kelly owns Off The Beaded Path Bead Store in Forest City North Carolina. 

Yes, she is a good instructor, does all kinds of neat stuff.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 3:58 AM

Oh, drat Sue!  The one I'm thinking of is Off the Beading Path.  I just remembered.  It's in Historic Occoquon, VA, about 5min. from my sister's house in Fairfax Station.  They've got a fabulous selection, and good sales, too.  Some of these bead stores have the most dratted similar names, don't they?  AARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BunnyGirlz wrote
on Nov 14, 2012 3:51 AM

Hi Rae, Nice to meet you. I am new to here.

Parents love Britax baby products.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS