Rosary pattern for special needs

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 11:27 PM

I'm trying to find rosary instructions for a special needs gentlemen. Thinking make it on leather or some sort of cording? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 11:42 PM

just my notion, but, I typed in "how to make a rosary" in the seach box and got pages of "how to"..   Macrame, would work with the Rosary Design and make the Rosary more durable... the Girl Scout Troup (a 100 yrs ago) made them.

Good Luck, maybe someone will come along with a better idea.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Pearlescence wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 3:40 AM

Hi

In what way special needs? The formula for a rosary is pretty much settled so really you are thinking about what materials only. There are many instructions out there but they are very confusing - to a non-catholic like me anyway. I had to go and ask someone to draw me an idiot proof diagram of how to assemble.

www.Pearlescence.co.uk

www.gemescence.co.uk

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 4:25 AM

TC,

Totally missed this thread or I would have answered right away; sorry!Sad  This one is right up my alley, as I happen to be Catholic and I design rosaries.  As you may know, there is a specific pattern we must follow when putting it together, as sanctioned by the Roman Catholic Church.  At the base of the rosary is the crucifix(the crucified Lord on the cross).  Attached to that is generally 3 links of chain, then the first rosary bead for The Lord's Prayer.  3 more links of chain, then a series of 3 beads together; the Hail Mary's.  3 more limks of chain and another single bead for the Glory Be.  3 more links of chain, and you connect to the base of an inverted triangular medal.  This medal ALWAYS has an image of the Blessed Mother on one side; Her Son, or sometimes aparticular saint may be on the other.  Beginning on either side of the top of the inverted triangle is where the real work begins.  The pattern is repeating until you have 5 decades of the rosary and have closed it on the other side: 3 links, single bead, 3 links, 10 beads connected directly to one another, 3 links, one single bead.  The pattern MUST be repeated 4 more times so you have the five decades.

Now, I mention chain links.  That's for a traditional rosary, which is what I design.  You absolutely CAN use cord to design a rosary; that's how the kids are taught to make one.  It's done by knotting.  I'll be singing at Mass on Sunday so I'll ask Father if he or Sister Robert Mary have the knotted rosary instructions; then I'll get them to you, okay?  And this is one of the very rare occasions I might suggest plastic beads.  The media you use to create the rosary is completely up to you.

Hope this proves helpful.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 4:39 AM

I do have the pattern for the hail mary's etc. My concern is this: According to his mother the young man shouldn't have chain which can pull apart or if he bites it, damage his teeth. He's autistic, functionable and no outwards signs of violence or biting, yet having a nephew with autism, I know sometimes things happen out of character. He has requested one several times and his mom was searching. If he bites a bead though......? I don't know. They are both quite adamant he has one. Apparently the other ones he has had were low quality (guessing plastic from the sounds of things) and pulled apart within weeks. I don't know if he was pulling on it or not. Note: She said he didn't put the beads in his mouth, so she's thinking he will not swallow the parts. Hey Val, if the hail mary beads are actually just "knots" in leather cording, do you think thats ok?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 7:49 AM

Idon't see why not.  Afaik, they could all be that way; the Church shouldn't have any problems with that  You just have to have the separartion between decades and the Our Father and Glory Be beads.  The one thing the Church does stipulate is that it must have a crucifix, as well as the triangular piece featuring the Blessed Mother.

So you do know hoe the general design is to be, then?  Okay, good.  I've made a number of rosaries already as gifts for friends and family, and I have a number of rosaries myself; gifts given to me over the years.  You'll see them all over the place  in my home and my parents' home and yup! one hangs from the rearview mirror of my car!  We Catholics love our rosaries and always want to make sure we have one nearby.  Just a quick word: please don't use them for necklaces.  That's not their intended use.  They were never meant to be that kind of jewelry, and to us, it's very disrespectful to see someone wear a rosary as a neclace or bracelet.  It's a very sacred object, meant to help you center yourself when you're praying.

Good luck with the project and please let me know how it turns out.  I'm very excited to see it when it's complete!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS