stubblytroll wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 10:50 PM

I'm Stubblytroll.  Hi, you'all.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 4:48 PM

hi stubblytroll,

welcome to the forums, have fun and join the chatter.

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 11:46 AM

Thank you for stopping by my humble message.  I started to write a bit about myself, but wasn't sure what to write.  I started beaading years ago out of a children's beading book, and got hooked, as well as DD.  I took a long hiatus, after my husband died, now am trying to get back into the swing of things, and, boy, have things changed.  My head is swimming.   It's a good thing my head can swim, 'cause the rest of me can't.  So, I will end now, and wish, may the beads be with you as well.  Stubbs

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 12:26 PM

Welcome Stubbs!

I don't know what kind of beading you do, but there are many styles represented here.  Check out the Members' Gallery, and keep in touch.  Can't wait to see some of your new creations!!

Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 7:36 PM

Hi again Stubbs, i am a new one here also and didn't know what to write too, so i just started to chatter a lot and my shyness was gone rapidly as everybody is very nice. That sucks that you can't walk, is that what you mean by the rest of you can't swim. My fiance is onelegged and can't walk sometimes because it hurts, so i know at least a little bit about the pain it does cause. i am looking forward to see you in the forums, hope you join us with chattering and maybe posting what you love to create or maybe even some pics.

Cya

Aunty Akoya

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 11:10 AM

I have chronic pain and sometimes I have a devil of a time getting around getting around in cold winter, but I simply can't swim.  I had a swimming accident when I was 18, hit my head on the bottom of the swimming pool.  It was by the grace of God that I am not a paraplegic.  I suppose I had a concussion, but I am old enough, 55, that concussions were defined differently then, and my doctor flipantly told me not to do it again.  Like I was going to, duh.  Anyway, I am learning to wire wrap from a correapondence course and am completely stumped by right angle weave, by all things.  I am at a an impasse in my lessons, haven't picked them up in months. Sent DD home with the instructions home her to figger it out so she can show me.  I am a visual, hands on, book larnin' person person all wrapped up in one person.  I buy books like crazy and have been lucky that two books viyh videos, that while dealing with things over my head right now, have some lovely informathin that I can use right away, maybe impress my picky teacher!

Oh, I did find my bio up there, not sure how good it, but look for my picture if you want to read it.  I'm sorry about your partner's  leg.  It has to Imake life so much harder.  When I get really down, I rember the only parts of that poem I know, " I was sad that I had no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet."  Maybe now I'll quickly remember your partner's leg instead.

well, I have to go hold my kitties, they are going to revolt if I don't.  Little girl is happily busying herself with the squeaky mouse whose eyes light up--she is saving us from it instead of the dangerous door rug, but stinker demands to step on my puter and butt my chin!  Time to pacify and see if I can put his butt to sleep.  And once again, may the beads be with YOU!

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 11:12 AM

I'm sorry, I forget easily, not your partner, I use that word when I forget, your fiancee.  Please don't get mad at me, I forget easily.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 9:55 PM

Hi, Donna, not sure how I missed your post, except maybr for the fact that I am scatter-brained!  I am currently studying wire=wrapping, and trying to get back into the "hang" of things, as the case may be, after my long hiatus.  So who knows what I'll be doing.  I can't wait to see some of my creations, either, LOL.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 13, 2012 12:49 AM

Stubbs, your DD can probably clear you up on right angle weave. The general instructions are often much more complicated than they need to be........ you make a circle with beads, then add on another set which will have one less bead, then another......the trick to RAW is that you never go across an intersection, you just go around in circles until your needle gets to where you can jump off and begin a new circle. After you connect a few they will sort of square up. But have DD read through the directions and start to show you, you will quickly see about going around corners rather than going across intersections.

When I first learned the instructor kept telling me to make floors, walls and ceilings.........she had me completely confused. If you are going around the corners the way you should, one circle will go clockwise, the next counter clockwise, but don't let the intimidate you trying to remember that. Hope between the two of you it works out, RAW is a great and fun stitch. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 5:18 AM

hey Stubby, sorry i forgot to reply. hu i would never get mad at someone :) and partner, fiancee, boyfriend it doesnt make a huge difference, doesn't it, i just love the word fiancee :), but of course i will be proud again if i can call him my husband finally. And i hope of course no one would get mad at me too, because sometimes i don't understand all or got to ask questions like a kid, because i am german and still learning the language.

Your accident does not sound fun either with still chronic pain. That is a very good expression: I was sad that i had no shoes, until i met a man that had no feet. My fiancee is a person who gets along with his handicap incredible good, i adore him for that.

About learnig the beady things i suppose i am the same. and getting an impasse i have too sometimes. then i leave the pieces for a while, and some weeks/month later i often pick it up again. with doing different things in the meanwhile my understandig of beading did grow a bit more, so i can better understand things i was stuck. And so far most time i try things and even don't know the name of the technic or what i am doing, there are still a lot of ahhhIdea-now--got-it-feelings :).

Cya

AuntyAkoya

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 12:04 PM

Donna, I was having a bad social day the day I returned my reply to you.  First of all, thank you for welcoming me to the forum.  Right now, I only come here occasionally, but need to come more often.  You said you can't wait to see what kinds of creations I come up with.  Well, currently, I am taking a correspondence correspondence course on wire wrapping, and am stuck on right angle weave, of all things.  Haven't picked up my work in months.  But am bringing my daughter home, and she is an awesome beader, and will get her to "larn" me the right angle weave, and I will be up and running.  ( I am from the south, making fun of myself, although I don't say larn, I do have a southern accent, laced with Illinois, Connecticut and Maine!)  I would like to  learn some metalsmithing and resin, also enamiling, if possible, to complibeading manyment the beading and wirewrapping.  I began  years ago, then my husband died and I fell apart.  Now that I am getting back into beading, things have changed so much my head is spinning.  I have jewelry vertigo!

So, what kind of jewelry do you make?  You told me about the, um, gallery, do you have things in the gallery I can see?  I'd love to see them, you'd just have to show me how to get there.  I'm terrible incompetent with the 'puter.  I can't even get around here, yet, with any kind of ease.  I have to go to forum, at the top of the page, then to the topic I want to go to, then hunt for the post I want. 

Anyway, so glad to meet you, and as Cya says, may the beads be with you.  Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 12:04 PM

Donna, I was having a bad social day the day I returned my reply to you.  First of all, thank you for welcoming me to the forum.  Right now, I only come here occasionally, but need to come more often.  You said you can't wait to see what kinds of creations I come up with.  Well, currently, I am taking a correspondence correspondence course on wire wrapping, and am stuck on right angle weave, of all things.  Haven't picked up my work in months.  But am bringing my daughter home, and she is an awesome beader, and will get her to "larn" me the right angle weave, and I will be up and running.  ( I am from the south, making fun of myself, although I don't say larn, I do have a southern accent, laced with Illinois, Connecticut and Maine!)  I would like to  learn some metalsmithing and resin, also enamiling, if possible, to complibeading manyment the beading and wirewrapping.  I began  years ago, then my husband died and I fell apart.  Now that I am getting back into beading, things have changed so much my head is spinning.  I have jewelry vertigo!

So, what kind of jewelry do you make?  You told me about the, um, gallery, do you have things in the gallery I can see?  I'd love to see them, you'd just have to show me how to get there.  I'm terrible incompetent with the 'puter.  I can't even get around here, yet, with any kind of ease.  I have to go to forum, at the top of the page, then to the topic I want to go to, then hunt for the post I want. 

Anyway, so glad to meet you, and as Cya says, may the beads be with you.  Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 12:34 PM

Cya, I don't think I would get angry with you, especially about asking  questions.  I would never have guessed you were German, you "speak" wonderful ?American, ?English  (these days I don't know what to call what "I" speak--It's certainly not what the Brits speak, which is where English came from, so I guess "I" speak Amemrican.  Whatever you are learning, you "speak it like a native!)  And fi you think YOU ask questions, if I start coming on here with any regularity, just wait to see how many questions I ask.

Now, back to my post, I was almost finished with my post, and my 'puter ate it.  I have family in Germany.  Don't know who they are, but G-Granny was a Brandenburg, I believe.

I'm glad that putting off the jewelry for awhile gets you to the ah-ha  stage.  I am so frightfully aggravated with that one stitch.  But my daughter will learn it quickly and teach it to me, and school and I will be back in business.

Now, about the fiance.  Yes, husband does definitely sound better than fiance.  Do you have a date set yet?  I can't wait to hear all about the wedding.  Do you have an account on Facebook?  Maybe by then, if you do, you will consider me enough of a friend to friend me on FB and I can see wedding pics if you post any there.

I noticed somewhere that you do other crafts--specifically crochet caught my eye.  Do you find that your crochet gives you inspiration for your beading, or that your beading gives you inspiration for your crochet?  I can crochet, but I am giving up all my other crafts for sewing and beading.  I have sewn since I was fairly young--that would be about 45 yrs, with breaks, of course, so I am not a couture sewer.  But I love to sew, and want to design my own clothes.  I do hate most of the clothes that get to mass market these days, I am into romatic clothes, and am what is considered a plus size.  Although I do love the Burda patterns.  Now, the Germans know how to design clothes that I like.  Maybe it's my German heritage?  Well, enough non-bead chit chat.  They will kick me off. 

But at that, maybe that is why I bead as well.  Mass market jewelry is just not my taste in jewelry, either..........  StubblytrollSmile

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 12:36 PM

Donna, I didn't mean for that last reply to go on twice.  Sorry Embarrassed

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Dec 1, 2012 11:53 AM

How did I miss this post?  And you such a nice lady, too?  Your instructions make so much more sense than the ones the school sent. they said I needed beads with large enough holes for the thread to go through several times, showed the process several times, and by the time I got to the printed instructions, well, I was a mess.  I even bought a book on nothing BUT RAW, but the projects were so awe-inspiring, and the directions were the same ones I was confused about that the school sent--weii,, you know the rest, confusion reigns supreme!  When I get home, I willopen this up and work on my RAW project with a fervor--well, timidly at first, at least, LOL.  Thank you so very much.  And I'm so sorry I took so long to thank you. Crying

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS