Some Pendants I made

This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 7, 2012 3:44 AM

Akoya, can you tell me the name of that fascinating stone?  It's cool!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 8:57 AM

Hi Fräulein Val,

of course my dear, just had look as i forgot allready, its a fire agate nugget from my favorite beadstore. Got i as gift when i won that price i mentioned.

http://www.glasperlen.at/Perlen-Shop-Detail.php?Detail=86945&Perlen=PERLEN.Mineralien+Perlen.Achat

Its dyed as well like the most gemstones, as the cheap ones would be to pale, but no color would come off so far.

Greetings

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,520
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 12:26 PM

Aunty and Val............. no reflection on you guys, but the bead folks who decided to call that "fire agate" really irritate me. Technically, it should maybe be called "fire treated and dyed agate" but where is the romance in that? This is just agate, heated until it fractures then dyed which fills in the fractures. And, yes I have some, but in making something out of it, I call it agate.

Fire agate on the other hand is a very gorgeous, very dark material that seems to have "bubbles" of color (much like opals) under the dark surface. Where the colors in opals are in sheets that shimmer and color in flat planes, the agate's bubbles are definitely rounded looking.

Aunty, I think your descriptive name for the pendant is good and accurate. Work on it some more, or like me, give up and admit failure in one tiny phase of jewelry making. Me and wire just agree to disagree and that's that. I am giving it one last chance, I need a handmade closure for a bracelet and will give it one more chance..........but I fear that I will appeal to one of my wire bending pals to ultimately make it for me. I totally admire people like Maddy who excel in wire............maybe even a tad jealous, but she deserves to be the recipient of our admiration. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 11:23 PM

Well, Donna and Akoya...when I hear the word fire the first thing that comes into my head is "red-hot."  So naturally I thought a fire agate would be red, or have lots of red in it.  So you'll understand my confusion.Huh?  Still I do like the stone, any road.

I'm sorry you and wirework don't get along, Donna.Sad  I really enjoy it.  I'll show you some of my pieces, soon.

Guys, I have to confess: I did a bad, bad thing today: I went through my bead stash to resort and make room for my new inventory.  I sat up way too long and my back muscles seized.  Currently, I'm in the shape of a question mark.Tongue Tied  I am in a tremendous amount of pain because of my stupidity, so I may be offline for a couple of days.  Note to self: don't ever spend so much time bead sorting ever again!Confused

Gute nacht, Akoya!  See ya, Donna!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS