HelloHello, another beadmad newbie

This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 5:07 PM

Hello to all passionate beaders all over the world!

Since some month I learned to love the Beadwork, so i felt like to look over the rim of my tea cup some more and trying to join this great community.

I am a beadmad 35 years old bird living in a Bavarian Outpost in Germany Beer. My english tongue is getting quite good i think as i got an english fiancè, who is teaching me with heavenly patience since some years. With my new skills i am hoping to find bead buddys all over the world. Words i don't now i look up with online translators, another quick and comfy teacher. If i talk/write a lot of nonsense (we call it GermanEnglish:) do not hesitate to tell me, i would never get it wrong, i am a thankful learner and it is better for me to know if i said something wrong before a misunderstandig is coming up. So far it were mainly funny misunderstandings, but i watch out and try to be careful, because i would not like to make someone feel uncomfortable. If there is any joke in your mind about the Germans/the Krauts, don't worry i can take it and have a laugh about it.

Being creative is a lifeline since i can think and was all time important to me, so i have done and liked lots of arts. My favorite is now beading since almost 2 years again. I have collected beads(never ever could throw away any bead:)) and made jewellery since i was a little girl, but stopped when i started work, how could that happen i think today. In my youth i had no clue about all the wonderful things you can do with beads and only did what came in my mind.  1,5 years ago i found a austrian forum and started chatting and meeting great people, sometimes i even drive 1-2 hours just to meet up with someone to share a day of fun and playing with beads, never want to miss it again. Nowadays i just can't try and tinker enough, there is so much great technics and special inspiring designs, the day never got  enough hours, we all feel the same i guess. Also i can't decide yet what i like the most, everything i got known so far got a own amazing flair.

The last weeks i can't get enough of making or looking at rainbow jewellery, though i like usually dirty colors and Opal the most, and if there is kitsch its melting my heart. Do you have the word kitsch?? its like everything that sparkles or unbearable pink., well mainly i love anything nostalgic and romantic

I am learning and loving at the moment: Beadembroidery, Macrame, bits and bobs of wire work, a little Peyote and Herringbone, crotcheting, allways like stringing, Kumihimo, a bit fimo. Got much on the to-do-list, with time i will get there hopefully.

May the beads be with you!

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,217
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 7:00 PM

Aunty Akoya,

Welcome to the group. We are all very friendly here, and we love to answer and help with any question that is posted to this site. We also love to see what others are up to, so don't be afraid to post your pictures to the  Beaders Showcase section.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 7:27 PM

hi dear Sue,

thank you for your Welcome :) and the hint to the Beaders Showcase, i was allready searching for it, ....and holy cow this forum is huge, allready read a bit from you, so much things to look and read. I agree all i saw so far is very friendly and charming, so i will be happy to throw myself in. I'm a friendly calm one too.

oioi, allready saw my first typing failures in my post above... well i guess you got here some exeperience with foreigners and lots of fantasy also ;).

Beads ahoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 11:04 PM

Guten abend, Fraulein Akoya!

I'm Fraulein Valerie Smyder and I live in the US.  I am half-German on my father's side.  Smyder is the Americanization of my German surname, which, sorry to say, I can't spell!  My great-grandmother's name was Magdalene Muhr and my great-grandfather's name was Ulrich (i'm thinking maybe) Geschmeider, but I cannot be certain that is the correct spelling.  I'm sorry to have to tell you that I am a direct descendant of Kaiser Wilhelm, as my great-grandmother was one of his nieces.  He was angry because she married my great grandfather, so they fled Germany and came here.  Sadly, a lot of their things in Germany were lost during both wars, so they couldn't ever send for them.  My father remembers his grandfather and says he was a very jolly fellow.  He said my great-grandmother was very pretty and very quiet.  I wish I could have known them.  I am Scottish on my mother's side of the family.  Both my father and brother look very German.  My sister has the height from the German side, but is finer boned like the Scottish side.  I look like a Scottish version of my father!

I am crazy about beading too.  It is the best sort of addiction to have.  I do stringing, and am heavily into wireworking right now, as well as filigreework.  Yes, we do have the word "kitsch" here in America; we invented it!(lol)  I like a lot of goofy, kitsch-y stuff too, like lava lamps.  Most 70's stuff I can't stand, but lava lamps are cool!  I'd like to figure out a way to make lava lamp earrings that actually work!

Auf Wiedersien for now!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 2:18 AM

Hiho Fräulein Valerie :),

thats a nice special familiy history, but i allways find it sad when marriage or anything else splits familiys apart. As the world is luckily more open minded today your other parts familiy would like it to get know you, who knows. But i suppose these days everyone does focus on the familiy they live with, which is the most important of course. im not a exeption, i have just little contact to my family that lives far away, which is strayed all over the world (Canada and America too), but still trying to keep contact at least a bit over the year, as the bonding still feels close. Glad it is easier this days with the beloved internet.

Because you say your father and brother look very German, i allways find that funny, because i love to guess nationality were its not obviously just  from looks in the face, can't describe it proper, for example to recognice someone got a british or german face, i got quite good at it as i traveled a lot because of my boyfriend (not without beads of course;)).

Hoooray to the invention of kitsch, oh yes i forgot, there ar two kings of kitsch, the american and japanese :))). i might get the third one ;), if i don't stop getting brainwashed, because the more great jewellry designs i see the more enthusiastic i get, it feels to good, so lately it seem i get back to friendship with all colors. 70's stuff i am not a big fan too, some exceptions of course.... your lavalamps earring idea sounds like bestseller Val :)).. i think it would be possible, maybe not with electric :D, but you know maybe like this round thingys with the snow and glitter in it, that you shake... i don't know the engl. name for it...

See you

Aunty Akoya

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 2:57 AM

Hallo, Fraulein Akoya!

Well.....you know how the nobility was.  And it's a bit embarrassing to be related to "the Mad German."Embarrassed  The Kaiser wasn't the greatest of role models, if you'll recall.Confused  I actually have an oil painting that my great-grandparents were able to smuggle out of Germany.  It's well over 100 years old.  It's been passed down through the generations and now I have it.  It's a simple,pastoral scene. I like it very much.

I do have one feature on me that looks quite German, and that is my nose!  It has a natural bump in the bridge.  I've always hated my nose; especially when my sister told me it looked like a ski slope!(when we were younger)  My doctor has offered to fix it, but I have decided to leave it alone.  Why?  Because I am a soprano and I'm now terrified if I mess with my nose like that, I won't be able to sing well at all any longer.  So I've come to peace with my nose.  Could be worse- I could have a great big honker like my dad!  Yike!(lol)

Oh yes, the Japanese are very good at kitsch; you're quite right!(lol) Nothing wrong with experimenting with the entire crayon box; that's how you come up with some really genius ideas!  Well, I dunno about making them electric, either! as that might be a bit dangerous.  But a snowglobe concept?  Not bad!  Thanks for the idea!  And "snowglobe" was the word you were looking for.  I'll have to shop about and see what I can come up with.

Guten tag!

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 4:21 AM

hey we bead ladys are all kind of mad anyway, so to have something german related doesn't make it more worth :D. maybe...i got to hope for myself, my fiancè says the same like you, but luckily he likes me anyway :).

Good you made piece with your nose, another thing i really like is unusual distinctive noses, my fiance got a big one with a bow and i love how it looks, he is laughing about my taste, but i can't help it, it got something cool, mine is not to bad too :), but i cant keep up with his. With the singing i agree with you, it would just be not worth it, to be able to sing is much more great. Nothing wrong with big honkers :D, i like that word, thanks a new vocabulary for me, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, thats one of my favorite phrases :).

ahh Snowglobe, thanks for the word too, and i just think to remember i have seen some that you can buy for filling it youself with things, i don't now where it was, too long ago, but that might be worth a search in the internet. there are very little ones too, i got one its about 3 cm big, that could work for earrings :). Uh got another idea, you know there are little bottles about to buy, to fill with stuff, i will have quick look if i see picture, they would just like be made for your idea.

Cya

AuntyAkoya

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 4:31 AM

knew i saw them in a little german shop, just to have look for you to know what i mean, see in the link there is 3 types of tiny bottles and ampullas, its not looking really like a lava lamp :) but it could come close to your idea. i bet you could find these somewhere. i like that idea of yours too. if i try it you are the first one i will show ;)).

http://www.schmuckteile-und-perlen.de/index.php

Beads ahoy!

Aunty Akoya

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,217
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 11:24 AM

Aunty Akoya:
well i guess you got here some exeperience with foreigners and lots of fantasy also ;).

When my husband was in the USAF we spent 3 years in the Eifel Mountains at  Spandahlem, at the USAF instillation there, I am sorry to say that I learned very little German while there, although I am half German (maiden name Gotha) I don't speak much other than a few words here and there. However I understood you very well.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 11:30 AM

Welcome to the forums

I think most of us here understand the need/desire to want to try as many techniques as we can. I myself have a "Need to try list" that goes on for ages.*L*

The great thing about this forum is that there is usually someone who has already tried it and is willing to lend a hand if you need any help getting started.

Drop in often and chat with us. We look forward to getting to know you and your work. Now, off to look at your posts in the Reader Showcase.

see ya in the posts

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 11:40 AM

@Sue, how you describe it that sounds so familiar to me :))...though 3 years is long time, its not easy to learn the language if there is not support, got the best example myself, it is so difficult for my fiance to learn german as everybody is speaking english with him instead of being patient and listen to his slowly trying. i got to be more strict with him too ;). But i love it when he is talking german, its sounds charming.

@Ellen: thats a fine thing about helping each other, i like sharing useful things myself. I think i will drop in anyway every week, if i am not beading, i am chatting about it anyway, a bit of variety/change is good ;).

Greetings

AuntyAkoya

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 1:32 PM

Yes, I know, but the Kaiser?  Sigh......

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 1:39 PM

Yes, I know, but the Kaiser?  Sigh......

Lol, your fiance sounds like a great guy!  I like to sing.  I'm a cantor at my parish.(I lead the congregation in song, sing the psalms, and so on.  I have a lot of solos, so I have to be in good voice.)  LOL, glad to help add to your vocabulary; I can teach you lots of American slang, ha ha!

You know?  I think I have seen the vials you are talking about.  I will have to send for them.  Maybe I can get the company to design some cone-style ones for me; then I'll take clay or something and form it into a blob like the lava in the lamps.  What fun!  Thanks for the super idea!  I'll let you know when I'm able to work it out.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 1:16 PM

You know more about that nobility than me, i got to believe you that he was tart then ;).

Wish i cloud sing too, but if i do, better got to be alone, and only would on my own anyway, its torture for the ears. That must feel so good to sing with joy and fill a room with voice.

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 19, 2012 2:16 PM

It's not that, it's just I really like history so I paid attention in school, and minored in it at university.  My great-granduncle was a nutcase, but that's what happens from all that inbreeding.Confused

The musical talent is genetic.  My father is in the choir; he's a bass.  My brother is, too.  My sister sings in her church choir; she's a descant.  I'm the cantor at my church, and I'm a soprano.  Actually, the only one who can't really carry a tune is my mum; she's tone deaf!Tongue Tied  Fortunately, we can all read music, too.  That's very important.  Music is actually it's own language.  I sang last night for Eucharistic Adoration.  In case you hadn't already figured it out, I'm Catholic.Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS