again with the Chan Luu bracelets

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,484
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 9:16 PM

I just watched a movie released in 2001 and the leading lady had on one of those three or four wrap bracelets. She was wearing a designer dress ostensibly from France.....but I searched through the credits and could find no reference to the clothing designer or anything like that. So the current popularity of those goes back over 10 years? Or did it come and go between then? Anyway, I was surprised to see it, it was much like the pricey ones you can get for multi-hundreds of bucks from Sundance............. Sooner or later I'll make one...........maybe.

On the last discussion I could find here, it seems that the basic method of making these is not even new, just has been revisited and re-popularized. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 15, 2012 1:13 PM

You know what they say everything that was old is new again.Wink

I think the only thing that has changed is the name...I've seen the same bracelets under several names. They're made the same way under all of the "new" names. So many names gets confusing for me.Confused Confused

I see the same thing happen in clothing fashions. Someone renames and older sewing method and ta da... it's brand new. The fact that your grandmother wore the same thing seems to escape anyones notice.Cool

I just saw a video on how to make the bracelets that was pretty good it was from thebeadshop.com excellent step by step instructions. But I can't remember what name they used for it in the video. Hmm

Happy beading... whatever it's called.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,484
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 15, 2012 3:27 PM

I went and looked it, she has a total of three videos on this, 2 are both for the shorter "Ladder Bracelet" and she gives credit to Chan Luu for popularizing it, the other is the long four wrap version and I think it is more complicated and uses C-Lon micro macrame cord in four colors...............I'll look at all three again, but if I don't get out and buy my dogs some kibble, well they will be mad at me come dinner time for sure. Thanks for the reply, I was just suprised to see the "new" fad bracelet and then to see the movie. I purposely went back to see when the movie was made. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS