"bubble" necklaces--

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 644
untmom2003 wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 10:36 AM

This style is so popular right now!! My question is are these components already made, and they are just linked together? Or are they had made?? This red one is $150 on Etsy, the blue only $15, so I am not understanding the huge price difference! Any ideas out there? I have had some requests for these, but no idea how to go about making them! Any help appreciated!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,562
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 12:15 PM

Wow, I am so far out in the country I haven't even seen one of those yet......but I'd look at a site like Rio Grande and search for something like closed back cab settings. I think I've seen a few like that in Fire Mtn catalog (you know I am bored when I pick up my FMG catalog just to graze for new products, new to me, certainly not new to almost anyone else). Anyway I have seen them in there and I would think Rio Grande would have more and with the round links top bottom, etc.

As for the price difference, I've always seen pricing variations between the two coasts in the jewelry I used to sell, I could practically retail my stuff to dealers on the east coast and they were still able to mark up and make profits. Their market was much higher than mine on the rural west coast. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 1:19 PM

THESE ARE BEATIFUL!  I THINK THEY ARE RETRO  FROM 1950-1960'S.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 9:28 PM

Donna,

You are too funny!  I've seen them in my fashion mags but I haven't aclue how to do them either, though I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl.  Guess I'll have to haul out my ginormous FMG artist's catalogue and see if I can locate these components.

Hi Mary!  Are you home yet or still on the road?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 644
untmom2003 wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 9:43 PM

ok Val you inspired me to get up and get my FMG catalog!! They are the Wrap Tites pg 1126-1127, but they are kind of pricey! Wonder how these people make the whole thing for $20??? Looks like Rio also has them

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 9:53 PM

I'm in my nice toasty bed, so I don't want to get up!Stick out tongue  Probably they bought in bulk.  I'm still considered a hobbyist, so I don't have a tax number.  I couldn't aford to buy in bulk, even if I wanted to.  Plus, I don't like to make the same thing twice.  That's one of the unique things I offer my clientele: they don't have to worry about seeing their piece on half a dozen different people because each piece is one of a kind

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 644
untmom2003 wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 9:58 PM

Val-I agree with you!! For the reasons you stated, but I must also be a little A.D.D bc I just really don't LIKE to make the same thing over and over!! LOL!   Just spent a couple hours picking up beads and wire and such and putting stuff away and throwing away!! I just can't help when I'm starting a project getting out several different things to try, decide what looks good, and then just keep them there! And I seriously wonder about the A.D.D. part of that sentence, bc I'm like "ooo, (this bead), ooooo (this bead), etc..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 10:29 PM

Karen, I KNOW I'm ADD.  It's why I have such a short attention span!(g)  That's why the only sport I can truly tolerate is football.  It was designed for people like me, who have short attention spans.  I watch baseball or basketball when I have insomnia.(g)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,562
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 12:53 AM

You guys are funny............I have the OTHER letters, OCD.

We finished up our Colorway Challenge at our bead society, and I cleaned my desk off, put away all beads that were orange (my color) and put away reference books, etc. And I got out a project that has been "lingering" for so long now. It was a pattern of a fancy skull that I worked for Beadwright, to test her pattern. It is really charming and not weird or anything. Did it with a matte black background and I'm going to use if for a card case. But while working on it.........my mind went on a flight and I decided to make it in the fashion of Pirates of the Caribbean (sp?) and I made a flap to hold the cards in that sits over the front and made it look like J. Depp's bandana and gonna hang some charms and stuff on it. Anyway, I loomed the main piece and square stitched the back for strength all with black Nymo. When I got to the red bandanna part, I just kept using the black thread but the beads were red matte/AB finish but transparent and so the black thread muddied the color. Here comes the OCD part, I took the flap apart tonight and I'm restitching it with light thread and cannot believe how much better it looks. NOW it will get finished and I can carry it around.

Wrap tite settings are a bit pricey, I know I've seen others that were more like base metal with a flat back and a low bezel to set the stone into. I'm sure someone else makes them in less than sterling. Also, look at FMG's Bezel Cups too. I just got a similar item from "A Grain of Sand", a square mounting that is decorated around the edges, sort of like a fancy picture frame, maybe fits a stone 1"x 1" square, it came in my Bead Hoard pkg last month.

Also check B'Sue Boutiques for bezel cups/frames, she carries a ton of that sort of thing. Cheers, Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,562
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 1:24 PM

Oct. 14th brain storm (there will be no laughing ladies, nor mentions of brain farts either) and I knew I had just seen something like the units on the blue necklace...........Fire Mtn's newest monthly gems and beads catalog has them. They sell them as "mounting drops and focal components" primarily for resin, but ................... Look up H20-9214FX. In the catalog there are flat ovals and rounds and square and rectangular ones also. Still nothing to justify the $15 priced one, but who knows. Was the expensive one maybe real something or another stones? faux coral would have been my guess, but my mantra is always...........whose nose?  Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 8:26 PM

Oh, Donna-- ROTFLMAO!! In my case, I would call that having a blonde moment!  I can't tell you how many times I've spaced while working on something, only to look down and go, WTF??!!!!  Then I wind up having to pull everything out and starting from scratch.  GRRRRRR!Super Angry  Not to mention I've lost count of how many times I've fallen asleep with the computer on my chest.Confused  Oy!  Maybe if I stab my hand with a pair of my pliers, it'll help my focus........OW!Crying

I'll give that info from FMG a nosey online.   Hmmmm......I always thought it was, "Butt....who nose?"(lolol)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Oct 15, 2012 12:43 PM

THese components are widely seen by stone sellers on Etsy, however you can find them done in glass and cheap metals.

I can't say why the price difference- could be someone overcharging for crap glass and base metal, could be someone made those (yes metalsmiths can make them themselves) - there's so many reasons there's just no way to answer that.

You can find them though on Etsy, stone suppliers, and the big box online jewelry retailers.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS