What kind of thread should I use?

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 11, 2012 12:48 PM

Well it is that time of year again where I pull out the beads and decide to make ornament covers. I have found a few patterns that require threading through the seed beads multiple times.  I want the ornaments to have a nice drape to them but I want strength as well.

What is the best thread, string, or line to use for these? Is Fireline going to be the best option?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 1:31 PM

Fireline is not too "drapey" unless you go down to 4#, I'd use that especially if you are using crystals. Nymo would be fine if your crystals are not sharp on the edges or if your pattern pairs crystals with beads next to them to lessen the chance of cutting the thread. Also.....if you use Nymo, use "D" and stretch it before you start stringing and it won't sag at some point in the future. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 932
on Oct 11, 2012 9:05 PM

Steer clear from Nymo, especially because your drapes will have a tendency to stretch, over time or otherwise, just due to the fact the beads drape. Fireline is strong and I suggest it for its zero stretch factor, more than anything else. However, Fireline will also offer zero drape factor. My suggestion is to try Beadalon Dandyline. It comes in multiple thicknesses, offering a weight variable to meet your needs. It is a twisted synthetic so be careful while running through the beads as it can twist after multiple passes. It has a zero stretch factor too! It comes in only a few colors, but white can handle most color ways.

I love drapes, have never made them. I am offering my knowledge of threads I use for beading on a loom and think what I learned can be passed on for consideration to use in other beading creations.

So, when can I see some of those drapes? Hmmm? :D

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS