Newbie, Eastern PA jump ring issues

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 8:05 AM

Hi to everyone. I'm brand new here and to 'adult' beading, As a 10 yr old I was crazy about it. Rings, bracelets, embropidery, and anything else I could think of. I use the term 'adult' beading as the projects I see now are sometimes amazing. I'm no longer 10 years old, I'm in my 50's now, and my hands don't work too well but I keep trying! I have to admit, my results are amateurish at best. Did better when I was 10.........

I made an attempt at a crocheted edging. It's horrible. It's so bad no one in the world will ever see it, it's going to be disassembled so I can save the beads. I digress here, sorry.

My issue is jump rings. I can't make them stay together for anything in the world. What I finally did was glue a bead where they join, and that's keeping the rings holding charms on the stretchy, but any advice and help here would be much appreciated. To note: These are from a chain craft store and are maybe just to junky? I'm not ready or far enough along to make serious purchases, yet.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 12:55 PM

Hello, I know what you mean about jump rings. I have a stash of old ones and they work the best because they are made of real metal.......Imagine that. I recently bought some new ones in a gold plate and they were so soft they just fell open, turns out they were gold plate over copper and copper is way too soft for that purpose. I did buy some plated split rings for that same job and they too were gold plated over copper and once you opened them a bit to slip the bead on..........it stayed open.

What I really use for serious work are split rings and I get them at Fire Mountain Gems. With the split rings you have a springy ring with an overlap, so nothing slips off. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Yvonne Irvin wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 12:55 PM

sounds like you could use a beginner course in using tools & with that comes how to use jump rings,wire etc...any local bead shoppes in your area? they would be a great source, also You Tube,  for how tos in print...all the basics are usually in the back of the beading magazines....once you get the know how down you will  be able to make marvelous creations that will stay together & with no glue! ;0)

just do some searches on the internet on how to do anything...it is usually there.

good luck & have fun creating,

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS