Leather Backing/Blanks for Beaded Loom Bracelets?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 9, 2012 5:21 PM

Hi, I'm relatively new to making beaded loom bracelets and I really like it, except I just want my bracelets to have some kind of backing on them, for support. I was trying to find a place where I can get some relatively inexpensive leather (or any kind of alternative, that holds up well)  to sew the beaded loom bracelets on to. I would like some leather that is kind of thin, preferably comes already in different colors, and preferably comes with snap closures, but if necessary I'll be willing to just get sheets of leather and stitch on the closures myself. This is what I want the end result to look like:

I would prefer to buy somewhere locally, but I'm fine with ordering online since it'll most likely be necessary, haha. I'm open to any suggestions you all have, I'm just very desperate to begin making bracelets! (And since I'm a poor college student, I can't afford to pay tooo much to make them). Thanks all in advance! :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 6:08 PM

Do a google for plain leather snap bracelets. I buy some from Fire Mountain Gems and others where I see them and I do the same thing. My loomwork covers the majority of the leather though and I buy black or brown or whatever I can get. The cutesy colored part is on the bottom anyway so make your beading a bit longer and don't sweat the color. I also make bracelets and back them with Nicole's Beadbacking which comes in a lot of colors, it is more comfy than leather to wear too. Gonna be tough to make "local" recommendations......where are you located? Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 9, 2012 10:42 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, I checked out Fire Mountain Gems and I saw they had some brown and black leather snap bracelets which seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. But I was also considering using the Nicole's Beadbacker, does t hold up pretty well to be used on its own? I was concerned with how it holds up to wear since I'm using it for a bracelet and all, but since you say you use it for bracelets I figure you would know better, thanks again :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 925
on Oct 9, 2012 11:44 PM

I have seen the same leather cuff blanks, with snaps, at a Hobby Lobby Store. Not many color choices, though. I don't use a backing, so I am interested in watching how you find your way!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS