Cleaning ink or marker of of stones

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 2:10 PM

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a good way to clean permanent marker off of stone pendants and stone slices?  I got a nice bunch of agate slabs (1/4" thick 2-3" wide) from a friend who found them at a flea market.  Unfortunately, most were written on in permanent marker.  Short of sanding or grinding, is there anything that will dissolve that marker?  These are unusable as long as they're marked, otherwise, they would be great for wire wrapping.  I tried acetone and very little ink came off and it looked the same.  I'm stumped.

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,529
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 2:56 PM

Donna, I sell a variety of stuff.............I start with alcohol, nail polish remover, then I move onto the ugly stuff. Lighter fluid, mineral spirits. Also with natural stone, I'd also put one or two in warm shallow water with a dollop of detergent. If the material is somewhat porous it may just soak off. Perm. markers in the hands of ijits......grrr. On the other hand it may have been the only way the person could keep people from "altering" his/her prices. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 7:40 PM

Donna,

Thanks!  I also found a marble care website that suggested a "poultice" of talcum or corn starch with plain water or peroxide.  I think I'll try your idea first.  I did do the soak in dish soap, and it faded a bit.  I'll try some more.  Using a permanent marker only makes people buy from you once.  A small zip bag with marker on it would suffice, don't ya think?

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,529
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 12:52 AM

Donna, ooooh, just got thinking about corn starch and peroxide........might be good for the face too...... or rough elbows. OK, I'm back from my little flight of fancy. That poultice would be like the absolute finest sandpaper ever. Marble is tricky to get cleaned without making it a mess, so I'd bet it works.

I understand vendors getting frustrated with folks changing prices, I"ve noticed that our "rock" vendors with the nicer stuff watch you like a hawk until they know you better. One guy I buy from will mark flat cut pieces because he knows that the majority of purchasers are going to go home and polish them to a gloss. The really nice cabs and more finished slices, he does put in zippie bags with prices on the outside along with the name of the mineral.

Just a funny to make you laugh..........we bought our house with just a cursory inspection, it was priced pretty much at the value of the land and the house part was very liveable, so it was a good deal. The yard was rough and overgrown (we live on the coast in Oregon and EVERY thing grows like mad, you can't discard anything organic......it will be back to haunt you) and we started by clearing out the weeds and limbing trees up to 6' so we didn't crack our heads when we went out. All of a sudden we started finding just PILES of slabbed up rocks, tumbled rocks, and more rocks. Didn't take us long to figure out that is what the previous owner did for a hobby. I could cage rocks for the rest of my life and probably not run out. We had some rock nuts come by with a truck and trailer and 5 gallon buckets and they loaded up everything.........twice..... to use as fill for their slope and we still have more rocks and find them all the time. If I plant something, I can figure on finding a new rock or two (or twenty)................... If they weren't so pretty, I'd be sick of them by now. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 2:06 PM

70% Alcohol on a cotton or soft cloth will remove, "Sharpie Pernenet Marker" from leather and clothing. (car seats,) I used it to remove the tick tac toe off a marble tile.( I bought for polymer clay work). Not sure it works on all kinds of stuff tho.

Good Luck

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 3:06 PM

Thanks for the tips, everyone!  I love your story, Donna.  My mother lives in the western NC mountains, so when we visit, it's Rock City!!  We've found beautiful rocks for polishing.  The little slabs I have were from that area, but I'm afraid they're too small to polish without losing too much.  I'm going to try the poultice after I soak them a while.  A lot of the black faded off the first one I soaked, then I found what was left of a price sticker on the other side.  Goo Gone!

I'll let you know what happens.

Donna

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS