Help ... I wanna get off the train ...

This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 258
beadinstyle wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 1:58 AM

The Seed Bead Train is going TOO FAST for me. I feel totally overwhelmed by the new sizes, shapes and colours of seed beads that are being offered to me every single day! I haven't even come close to making the patterns I've collected over the years that only use 8s, 11s, Delica 11s and 15s.  That seemed a pretty complete collection at one time? All these new beads are just too much for me to absorb. The projects in the new magazines are pretty, but I'm not tempted any more. Jaded, much?

Help! I feel such a Luddite!

Ruth

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 480
Calico3 wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 8:07 AM

"I'm goin' off the rails on a crazy train"  -  Ozzy  Big Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 10:04 AM

I feel the same way!!! I started beading about 20 years ago, I have the very first issues of Bead and Button Magazine and Beadwork.  Over the years, from going to bead shows and shops, I have this huge collection of beads. Every time I get inspired by a pattern in a new magazine, there is some new type of bead I "need".   Or, there is a component that is necessary.  As the days ahead of me are growing less and less, I don't want to die and have my children need to dispose of all of this. Also, I feel almost like an alcoholic. I would hate for anyone to know how much stash I have.  When I look at it objectively, I am embarrassed by myself.  My goal now is to "use up" at least a few of my beads, because I am retired and have more time.  Is anyone else in this situation????

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LoisT@12 wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 10:36 AM

I'm in the same boat (or on the same train).   I have more seed beads than a bead store (well maybe not quite...but pretty darn close).   I am addicted to beads so every time I walk into a bead store...look out!!!   I keep stocking up and stocking up.   I have books up the ying yang too!   If I never bought another bead...I could make a lot of stuff before running out!    Oh well....at least I'm enjoying what I do!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 12:45 PM

Ruth, and Carol too.............. Well, I got off the train a while back and I am still alive and living and beading like a maniac. I took early retirement in 2005 and also took my first bead class.........oh yessss. I had done beading as a kid, looming as a young adult, so I wasn't totally green at it all. Early on though, I decided that I needed to keep it a bit more simple and chose to work mostly with delicas. But that didn't stop me from accumulating a bit too much "other" stuff. So now I have mostly delicas, 11 seeds, and some 8's and some 6's.

I have a tendency to resist buying all the odd shapes because by the time they arrive in the mail, I've forgotten what I was going to do with them.......LOL. So I do have two tubes of tila beads, no peanuts (I think they are ugly) and a minor amount of drops which I do use to finish off projects done in delicas. I am beading like mad to use up what I can......LOL.

I admire the bead mags for their efforts in "keeping up" with the industry, but I firmly believe you have to draw your own line in the sand and stick with it. Occasional forays into the wilds of some new thing is good and stimulating, but just don't go nutso and remember to stay off that train and clear of the tracks too. Off the soapbox and back to my bead table. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 7:57 PM

I know the feeling all too well Ruth! And I agree with Donna, that you need to draw your own line somewhere. I mainly use delicas, 11/0s, 15/0s and the occasional 8/0s. I am yet to use the tila beads, cube beads and peanut beads that have been released, but I must say I'm just happy to cruise at my own rate.

If at some stage you don't feel challenged by the projects you are doing anymore, then you might consider expanding to all these new variations that are coming out. I may or may not get there myself, but we shall just have to see Smile

Cruise away Ruth! Cruise away!

Emma
xXx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 1:42 AM

Well Ruth, that problem was solved for me this past January when I broke my thumb and the had to operate twice; the second time to remove infected bone.  I just saw him a few days ago and my bead sewing days are officially over.  What seed beads I still have I use as spacers ar accents.  I hoard other kinds of beads, instead.Confused

Val

(what I'm really loving? wirework.)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 6:49 PM

Val, don't give up on beading, I had a bad infection in the right hand index finger in 09, I didn't think I would be able to bead again, but I wouldn't give up. I had very little feelings in the finger and it could barely move it. The infection was from a cat bite. The infection was in the the joint that connects the index finger to the hand. so the whole hand was affected by this nasty infection. I spent 4 days on IVs in the hospital. After the hospital I spent 18 weeks in physical therapy. When I was done with that, I still couldn't hold a needle in my hand, and my hand was still numb. But I wouldn't give up I kept pushing myself past the pain and frustration, till I was able to bead again without the pain and numbness. Then a year ago this last may I feel while camping (long story) in the fall I tried to stop myself and hyper extended my left thumb. I went to the doctors and he thought it was just a sprang, because the x-rays showed  no break or fracture, so he splint it to keep it straight. After several weeks with it no better, he ordered another x-ray with the same results. So he said to leave the splint on and he wanted me to go to physical therapy. I went to the therapy for 10 weeks with little or no results. On the advice of the therapist I returned to the doctor. The doctor than sent me to a hand surgeon, well, the results were not what I wanted to hear, the tendons were torn in the fall and they had shrunk and I would never again have full use of my thumb, but guess what, I am beading, I guess my other fingers took over the parts my thumb couldn't  do anymore. So don't give up, just keep trying, and if God is willing and the heart is into beading, you will find a way to do it.

Happy Beading!! 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 2:16 AM

Oh no, Sue!  I'm still beading; I just can't sew anymore.  I'm not sure if I mentioned to you my thumb was septic in addition to having staph, strep and entero, so my orto had to open up my thumb a second time and remove 2mm off each of my phalangeal bones to get rid of the infection and the sepsis.  The bones are now very fragile because of course, at our age, bone does not grow back.  And of course, the tendons had to be cut to get in there, and they refuse to stretch.  PT was off limits because we can never risk it for fear of rebreaking the phalangeal bones in my thumb.  The beading needles are too fine for me to hold in my hand and be able to hang on them now.  My thumb is too clumsy.  Took me five monts just to relearn to sign my own name!  However, I have been considering taking up crewel embroidery again(I did it as a child) and seeing if that might condition my hand.  It's going to be slow going; it's been seven months since the last surgery and I still suffer a lot.  It is difficult for someone like me to learn patience.  Sometimes God has to beat me over the head with a 2x4!Angel

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 8:09 AM

Valbeads:
.  It's going to be slow going; it's been seven months since the last surgery and I still suffer a lot.  It is difficult for someone like me to learn patience.  Sometimes God has to beat me over the head with a 2x4!Angel

it all takes a great amount of time for one to relearn how to do somethings in a different way. When I refer to beading, it is off loom beading, for it has been years since I have done stringing on a regular basis. 

I too am no spring chicken, as you can tell by my avatar, in fact, today is my youngest sons 46th birthday. 

I know what you mean by the amount of time it takes to recover from an injury at my age. It has been 17 months, and I still have pain to some degree on a regular basis. I just want to encourage you to keep trying that beading needle, anything you want to do after an injury such as ours, comes from pure determination, and stubbornness. And if you ask my hubby I have lots of the latter, and I get it from my mother. LOL

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 10:58 AM

Oooo, I won't tell you that I just turned 45 last month then.....ooops!  Did I just say that out loud?  Sorry!Embarrassed 

I have always been a slow healer, Sue.  Why?  I've no idea.Huh?  I think with the kidney failure I'm suffering from, it's just slowing my recovery to a crawl.  I've been ill for close to a year now.  When I have my good days, though, I'm doing my jewelry.  It makes me happy.  I enjoy stringing, and the wirework really lets me be creative.  As I've told Gopika, the hammer lets me bang out some of my frustrations!(lol)  I like filigree, too.  My mom will tell you I'm just like our two terriers- very tenacious!  It's probably best that I continue to take things slow, because whenever I overdo it, I pay for it, big time.  Sometimes I forget that I can't go full throttle like I used to.  Like I said, sometimes God has to beat me over the head with a 2x4 to get my attention!  But He stays right beside me, all the way.  I'm so grateful He gave me such a lovely gift to begin with.Angel

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 4:07 PM

Val, Sue!

I've been feeling sorry for my poor self trying to work with arthritis, and the accompanying lack of coordination (beads flying about, needles stuck in my thumb, etc.).  You two have been through several wringers and, if you can still do it, so can I!  

Just don't give up, there are so many different facets to beading.  If one becomes too much for now, move on to another, just don't quit!!

Prayers and hope to you both!

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 5:24 PM

Thanks, Donna! 

Prayers always help, and I'll take as many as I can get!  I've got photos of some of my latest pieces I'll be poating a bit later.  Right now it's dinnertime for me and my Westies.  Here at long last is a picture of my "kids."  Get ready to "ooh" and "aah!"(lol)

Zoe is in the purple harness on the left; Mac in the blue harness on the right.  Sorry about the red eye; haven't figured out how to get rid of it.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Val, at the last minute wave something or toss a small stuffy away from you or up in the air....the change in direction of their eyes will remove the "red eye" effect. Or, photo the dogs outside where your flash won't go off.

Donna, I also have a hard time with things flying............I've always had stiff fingers. In high school I'd have to run my hands under hot water in the girls lav before going to typing class. It is not an arthritis thing, probably genetic, I have my dad's hands and fingers and he was an artist and a mechanic, so I never thought about failure. I played a lot of tennis and had to really develop some muscle to hold the racquet and not let it fly away.

Now I wear "arthritis" gloves, they are a thinnish neoprene and were pricey but will last forever. They are black with a textured surface and wowser red inside. They are finger tip less and work fine with beading. They also come up a ways and cover my wrists.......very comfy and warming which helps a lot. I tried the thinner ones but no one seemed to make them small enough and without fitting snug, they don't do a thing.

I can type in them too.............. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 6:40 PM

Well Donna that would work great...except for some bizarre reason, Zoe is now afraid of the camera.  The hands you see in the shot are mine, holding her still, so Dad can take the shot!(lol)  We don't understand why she's afraid of the camera now; she used to love having her picture taken.Huh? If I knew what kind of software would get rid of the redeye, trust me, I'd use it!

Those gloves sound nice.  Wonder if I could convince my insurance to cover them?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS