Handmade jewelry gazing

This post has 55 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 12:50 PM

I have a confession. Ever since I started beading jewelry I find myself checking out the jewelry other people are wearing, out in public, and wondering if they made it, where they got it etc... Sometimes it almost gets me into trouble because some people catch me staring Embarrassed lol. But in most cases I just strike up a conversation. One lady actually did make her own jewelry that she was currently wearing and we had a pleasant conversation about how great it is to make your own jewelry.

I also check out the jewelry people are wearing in tv shows! 

All of the above has helped inspire new jewelry designs, at times. 

Can anyone else relate? Wink

Vee 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,461
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 1:14 PM

Vee, but of course, we can all relate I'd bet. I have made some acquaintances by admiring jewelry worn by others, both beaded and vintage costume jewelry also which I used to sell. If you go to a craft show, just look at the stuff that is for sale, pick out a "WOW" booth and make the acquaintance of the booth person. A beading buddy is great fun to find, you can learn from each other also.

So yes, I for one always check out other jewelry/bead wearers. I try not to stare, but there are moments when you just can't help it....... Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 1:33 PM

That is great, Donna :)

I actually haven't been to a craft show yet or a bead shop. I have been shopping online the past 5 years at FMG, Limabeads, etc.... But I did just sign up for a class at my local bead shop. :D 

But, yeah I find it cool how I never noticed jewelry others are wearing the way that I do now that I make jewelry lol. I'm glad we all can relate. :)

Vee

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 520
on Sep 30, 2012 6:36 PM

I am definitely more aware of jewelry that others are wearing now that I make it myself. I also "see" a lot of jewelry designs in clothing. I've had all kinds of fabric designs provide a muse for many of my pieces over the years. I love striking up conversations with other jewelry designers. Most of them are really nice and are willing to answer questions. I've come across a few though that treated their lips like they were Fort Knox. I can understand not wanting to give a way design secrets but not wanting to share even the most basic of information seems kind of stingy to me.

oh well, it is what it is :)

shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 6:55 PM

Awesome, Shellie!

I'm glad you can relate. I notice jewelry on others more than ever now that I make my own. That is so cool that you see jewelry designs and get inspiration and creativity from clothing. I have gotten inspiration and design idea from crystals or stones and even through dreams, but mostly through visions or daydreams. I also take bits and pieces from other jewelry I see but put my own spin on it. 

That is something about encountering people who don't really want to share techniques. I love to share with others. But true that it happens sometimes, running into people who like to keep things to themselves. That's why I think this is such a great community of beaders because we share and enjoy doing so. :)

Vee

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 10:44 PM

Yes, I do.Embarrassed  Mainly 'cos I'm a big people watcher, Vee.  However, I'm seldom brave enough to talk to them.  If I'm approached about a piece I'm wearing that I've done?  That's a different ball of wax.  I'm kinda standoffish, so it's hard for me to make the first move.

I pay attention to the jewelry tv characters are wearing all the time!  My favorite show for inspiration is definitely Bones.  Emily Deschanel's character, Dr. Temperance Brennan, wearst the coolest stuff!  I've copied a couple of her pieces.

Val

PS- Shellie: some people are just exceptionally rude.  I suppose it goes with the territory, sigh.......Sad

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 10:56 PM

Hey Val Smile

I totally understand! I am pretty shy with people I do not know, so I don't approach them about their jewelry all the time or I should say I don't speak to everyone I see in public. I've only had a few conversations within the past 5 years lol. But I am the same way if someone approaches me about the jewelry I'm wearing, I am very happy to talk to them about it and delighted too. Big Smile 

I haven't watched the show Bones, but I am tempted to start now just to see the great jewelry! I was watching Gilmore girls today and noticed a really cool necklace one of the main characters was wearing. Also one of the characters on the show makes jewelry as a hobby and she sells it on the show as part of her roll. I think that is so cool! 

But, yeah, I wish all beaders were as friendly and outgoing as we are. Wink

Vee

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 10:07 PM

Shellie,

I've noticed the same thing.  I've also looked more closely at some of the pieces I purchased at art shows in years past.  These were bought long before I started making my own.  I began to realize that some of these items, though a little expensive, were not made as well as anything I've seen here, or made myself!  It's not always the design, or the stones or colors, but in the finishing, the little details.  There were some ugly crimps (that eventually cut the wire), plastic beads (that were described as silver), a cheaply made clasp.  These unnecessary shortcuts made me want to do better, even in small things like the details in the back of a necklace. 

I love to look out for unique jewelry someone is wearing that might be original, and I'm not afraid to ask.  Most of the time, people are honored and more than willing to talk about their designs.  A few times I've been cut off like, if I had to ask, I'm somehow not worthy.  That's fine, too.   Usually, upon closer scrutiny, it wasn't that great after all.

I've occasionally been asked if something I'm wearing was hand-made, or designed by me.  I could have kissed their hand!  It's such an honor for someone to notice, and take an interest!  I will never out-grow that feeling!

So, keep looking and keep asking.  I think most people are thrilled you noticed!

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 8:34 AM

Donna, that is awesome! And, I agree! :)

I am very cautious about how my finishings look on my jewelry, especially the crimp beads and crimp covers. If they are squished or bent or not tight enough, I do it over, especially if I am selling it to someone else and for myself as well. So far nothing of mine has fallen apart with the exception of stretchy jewelry popping over time lol and that is why I rarely make anything stretchy now. 

I totally love when others notice my jewelry and ask me about it and I tell them I made it and their eyes go up in delight! Big Smile

Vee

Not Ranked
Posts 25
vilcat wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 9:25 AM

Val, I find it hard to believe that you are shy! You seem very outgoing and enjoyable to be around.

I was a painfully shy person until I met a very gregarious lady at church who made me come out of my shell. She is now one of my closest friends. So now, I have no problem walking up to some one and asking them about their jewelry. It usually turns out to be a fun, lively conversation and I have met people from many different states and countries ( we are a tourist town) who are really interesting people. And I would never have known that had I not started the ball rolling with a simple question or comment. I do embarrass my 14 year old daughter sometimes though. She is mortified that I would actually walk up to a stranger and begin a conversation . She has inherited my anxiety/shyness, but I know there is hope for her and I'm proof of that!  :)

kathy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67549412@N03/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 6:15 PM

Kathy,

It's not so much that I'm shy; it's that I'm standoffish.  I have a difficult time initiating conversation, because I have a lot of trust issues.  So when people first meet me I come off seeming aloof, and then I get the "B" word attached to me, which is so not true. They'd rather label me that than take a little time and get to know me.  I can't be stuck in one particular box and have a label slapped on me.  I'm more complicated than that.  Those who know me well enough see a bright, bubbly, outgoing, friendly person who is loyal to a fault.  Like I said, though, I don't fit in one particular little box, and some people don't like that, so they don't like me.  Basically, I shrug them off and think, "that's your loss."  But there's always that niggling doubt in the back of my head, and that's always what keeps me from making the first move.  Once I've been introduced to someone though, it's not so bad.Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 8:09 PM

Val,

I have been either accepted or "blown-off" by people I've approached about what I thought was something beautiful, that--maybe-- they created.  If a person you've approached does that (rejects your appreciation), then maybe THEY have the problem.  It's possible they didn't make it and are embarrassed (I haven't made a lot of the things I wear), or they are the kind of people I have met (only occasionally), that think they are better than the person who appreciated their "art." 

I know and am related to some wonderful artists (very talented people) who couldn't imagine NOT appreciating someone like YOU noticing what they've done!

There are people out there who are just clueless.  Don't let them hold you back, or hurt you.  There are too many of us who would LOVE to have someone say; "that is beautiful, did you make that?"

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 1:05 PM

Vee,

I made a necklace and earrings for a dear friend's birthday last year.  We met at a restaurant, she was so pleased, and it looked beautiful on her.  We even had people at another table remark on the necklace (I was beaming.....or blushing...my head was huge).  Anyway, we walked out to our cars, hugged, and she got in hers, but wasn't moving so I went over and asked her if she was ok.  She was fine, but her high-falutin' necklace had broken in the car.

If it wasn't her, I would have sat in the parking lot and cried.  We found all the beads, believe it or not.  After I inspected it, I saw that a silver bead cap had a sharp edge on the inside that was hard to spot.  I  remade the necklace, after filing all the insides of the metal pieces, and it's been good ever since.  This has only happened to me twice, within a month of each other.  Same problem.  Now I am so watchful (more like anal) about things like that, that I inspect and smooth the insides of everything that might cut or wear away as soon as I receive them.  This includes sterling as well, because that first one was sterling.

Anyway, I've been very lucky, and I won't try to tempt Fate again.

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 1:26 PM

Donna, 

Oh my!! I feel your pain! I always worry about something breaking or a bead breaking and the whole necklace falling apart.I'm so glad that you were able to fix the necklace and found all the beads in your friend's car. 

Years ago, I made a necklace for a guy friend and he is very rough on jewelry so I was worried almost daily about it falling apart lol. I told him to let me know if it does and I will fix it. His has a magnetic clasp on it and it wasn't strong enough and kept falling off because he wore the necklace constantly even to bed! lol Onetime it fell off onto the bathroom floor and a few of the beads broke. So, I ended up finding a really strong magnetic clasp and now its fine. I thought about changing to a lobster claw  clasp but he really loved the magnetic one. 

May I ask what type of wire or cord you use? I know that the sharper beads even insides of smoother beads can snag certain cords. I have been using the stainless steel beading wire by accu-flex from fire mountain gems. It's basically the only one I trust. When the beads broke off of my friend's necklace the wire was still intact. 

Vee

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 1:46 PM

Thanks, Donna, for your knd words and support.  So far, everyone I've met here has been very kind and friendly, and it has made it easier for me to make friends.  Some of you are now e-mates, and a few of you I even get to Skype with!  For someone who is practically homebound now, that means the world to me!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 4 (56 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS