How do you store your finished jewlery?

This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 25
heffalompa wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 3:43 PM

As time goes and I obey my need to bead, the result is of course that I have quite a few finished pieces of jewlery lying around.

I plan to have a stand at a local faire in a while as well, so naturally i have been busy lately making more. How do you store all the bracelets and earrings and whatnot? So far I've just been keeping all of it in plastic box, but it does'nt look good and every time i go past it I think that I should get it more organized.

But how? Any good ideas?

Laila

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 8:28 PM

Hi Laila, I'm only a newbie to beading however I thought of buying some cheap cork boards, decorating with paint, lace etc and than pinning the goodies on the board. This would work either standing or lying flat I think. I've recently bought some lace from the local Thrift shop that I'm going to use on the cork board. You could display some of your items on small mirrors raised at different heights so they reflect and really glitter. I found a website that has a pattern for displaying necklaces that you could also use. http://jewelry-business-blog.com/jewelry_displays/lovely-cheap-diy-jewelry-display/ Sorry I don't know how to make the link active but you can just copy and paste into your browser. I'm thinking of doing a stall at the local markets in our area, there are quite a few so I want something that's easy to carry and store but still looks good. Pinterest also has some great ideas http://pinterest.com/ChristineGaul/market-stall-styling-ideas/ Use and adapt to suit your needs.

I'm sure the more experienced beaders will be able to give you more ideas.

Good luck

Lyn

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 9:05 PM

Back again Laila. You need to go to the forum thread Beading Business » Creative Jewelry Displays? There are lots and lots of ideas in there.

Lyn

Not Ranked
Posts 25
heffalompa wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 2:10 AM

Hello Lyn

Thank you for answering. Perhaps I was a bit unclear in my question. I have a few plans when it comes to displaying my jewlery at the faire when the day comes, but I was thinking about what to to when all the stuff is just lying around in the house, in a pile the keeps growingConfused

I really liked the idea with the mirrors, though. I hadn't thought about that, thanks.

Laila

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 3:13 AM

Sorry about the confusion Laila but at least I wrote something useful. So what you need is something that  keeps everything organised and you can use when travelling to and from the faire and and future events as well? I'll contemplate and see if I can come up an idea or two. If you suddenly have a flash of brilliance please share so I can get organised for future possibilities.

Lyn

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 8:29 AM

I've found exactly what I need, a makeup trolley. Look here - http://www.makeupcasepro.com.au/inc/sdetail/649. This would be perfect or something like this would be perfect, if it weren't so expensive. But it's got drawers and adjustable spaces and all sorts of storage hidey holes. I've even found some on ebay that have mirrors that lift up so customers could check out how great your jewellery looks on them.

If only I had unlimited funds.

Lyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 1:25 PM

I have cork boards that I can remove from the wall.  I use silver push pins and hang my necklaces and bracelets.  I don't like to put everything away, as I look back on some things I've made to get a new idea (or improve an old one). I bought about a mile of black velvet, and used some as a tablecloth for the shows, and sewed a couple of velvet "pillowcases" that would slip over the cork boards.  Then I can stick the pins in a hang away.  At some shows, I've used two black open mesh square metal baskets (great sale at TJ Maxx).  I stand them up on the side and hook earrings, and sometimes bracelets on them.  For storage at home, I've used zip lock bags (I think things might tarnish more quickly, tho), and also cardboard photo storage boxes (about the size of a shoe box).  I line the bottom with something soft (leftover blanket material) and label the outside. 

Donna

(This is my new work area in our basement)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,955
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 2:30 PM

Laila

When I make a new piece it goes into a zippy lock bag with a tarnish preventive tab and is sealed until I get it onto my inventory sheets. Once it's on my inventory sheet it goes onto a utility tray with a velvet display board. Then I put another tarnish preventive tab into it and cover the tray with that plastic wrap that seals itself. Then the whole thing goes into my carrying case.(Or salesmans case) Then when I have a show I just pick up the case and go.

I don't know if this was of any help.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 25
vilcat wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 2:31 PM

I store my finished pieces in a jewelry display case like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67549412@N03/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 3:24 PM

That is a very nice idea!  They're not cheap, but no slogging it around, just roll!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 3:49 PM

It sure helped me!  I forgot about the anti-tarnish tabs, that way you can still see what's inside.  I've seen the trays with the carrying cases.  Great idea!

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 4:18 PM

That's a neat idea!  It would be good to hold works in progress, too.

My parents want to get me a hutch so I can display my necklace busts with finished pieces on them.  What do you guys think?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,955
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 4:41 PM
The case & trays I use are just like the ones vilcat has in her photo. I purchased mine on line at the jewelbox.com they sale displays & supplies. They were the most inexpensive that I've found. Val- That sounds nice. I think I'm a bit green with envy that you've got the room for it. I'd have it full in no time and then I'd have to have another one and I don't have the room for one much less 2 or a dozen.*L* EDITED: Sorry guys. It seems I've got gremlins in my computer this afternoon and they like squishing everything together.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 6:02 PM

Well, consider SueEllen, I'm pretty much getting a brand new apartment, so I've never had the space before, either.Smile  Things are coming along.  We have to touch up the painting, then the carpet is coming......then the interior decorating can begin.  Whee!  I can't wait to show you guys around when it's all finished!  Then my place will be just like this: Paradise

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:32 PM

Laila

I use to have the same issue with storing my finished jewelry. Now I use the anti-tarnish ziplock bags from fire mountain gems, they come in many sizes and last about 2 years anti-tarnish wise. 

Vee

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS