Hello My name is Lyn

This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 3:00 AM

Hi everyone, my name is Lyn.  I live in Queensland, Australia and like a lot of others here I'm new to beading.  I have tried my hand at just about every craft - scrapbooking, cards, knitting, patchwork, and the list goes on, but there is just something about stringing beads together and creating something unique that inspires me.

So far I have a very limited bead stash and some of those are carry overs from other crafts. I have to use up the old stuff before I can buy the quality goods. My daughter will be getting some pretty pieces quickly so I can justify the need to replenish my supplies.

Looking forward to talking to you all and increasing my knowledge and skills.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 2:17 PM

Welcome to the forums Lyn

Lyn59:
I have to use up the old stuff before I can buy the quality goods. My daughter will be getting some pretty pieces quickly so I can justify the need to replenish my supplies.

This sounds familiar...*L*

The longer you bead and the more addicted to it you become you will be able to come up with all sorts of "creative" reasons you need more beads. Like...it's Thursday! Got to have some new beads!Wink

Find a thread you're interested in and just jump right into the conversation. We love to hear from new voices.

I hope you will drop in often and let us get to know you & your work.

see ya in the posts

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,844
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 10:01 PM

G'day, Lyn!

Whereabouts in Queensland are you?  Anywheres near Brisbane?  Or are you closer to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef?  Surprise!  I know a bit of my Australian geography.(lol)  You must be happy that spring has come at last, though with your province(?) being so close to the equator maybe the weather's fairly temperate all year round?  I live in Upstate NY, in the cental region, close to what's called The Finger Lakes Region.  I'm NOT happy, 'cos the weather's turning miserable now.  I don't like the cold! 

Beading is definitely an addiction.  It's worse than potato crisps but at least beads won't make you fat!(lol)  Welcome to our crazy little family, and have a great time here.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 7:06 AM

Hi Val, I live about an hour west of Brisbane in the Lockyer Valley. I'm lucky that living in Queensland our weather is very temperate. A cold winter day is about  15 degrees celsius, don't ask me what that is in farenheit though, a bit colder at night though. You'd love it here, definitely not cold by your standards.

I'm so hooked on beading and my sister-in-law is enabling me, great girl!! When I find the cable for my camera to connect to my laptop I'll take some photos of my work. As I said I have to use up my cheap beads before I can get the good stuff. I'm making headway but who knew I had so much!!!

Thanks for welcome.

Lyn

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Sep 28, 2012 7:46 AM

Hi Lyn, I live south- west of you but a far way away in South Australia.I live about 1 hour south of Adelaide. 

I used to do beading years ago but haven't done any for ages.  Like you I have a lot of fairly cheap beads and really want to learn more advanced work.  This year has been chaotic as I have been co-ordinator for a community art centre about 50 kms away but I have just resigned effective at the end of the year so I might be able to fulfil my dreams then.  I do work in mixed media so use some of the beads in artworks, etc but I have too many beads and more necklaces than I can wear.

It is getting late now so hope to hear from you .

Yvonne

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 5:37 PM

Oh my gosh, you're right SEllen 2, it's Saturday I'd better go and get some beads. I'll just look through my project choices, that could take a while, and then go pick up something so I can do it, eventually. Thanks for the welcome.

Lyn

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 8:48 PM

Hi Yvonne, unfortunately you live too far away for a quick visit on the week-end but we can compare our progress here. As I said I've got heaps of cheap beads that I have to use up but I've been challenging myself by using them in quite difficult patterns, they even look not too bad. Today I decided to do a pendant that I loved but it was in Japanese, luckily the diagrams are pretty good so I managed to get it done. My daughter likes it so that's another one for her. I just found a pattern for a gorgeous pearl open lace-look purse that my daughter instantly claimed, so I guess that means I get to use up all my cheap pearls, multi coloured of course. I'll let you know if and when I make the attempt.

I was made redundant in July last year and since then my back has deteriorated quite a bit so beading seems to be filling a deep need in me to have pretty things around me. I found a book last night that had mixed media ideas so I'll have a look through it later and get an idea of your creative bent.

Talk to you soon.

Lyn

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,844
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 12:37 AM

Hey, Lyn!

Okay, not so bad.  So you can get to the ocean in a reasonable amount of time.  15°!!!   Really?  You are soooooooo lucky! I could go for that.  That's what the daytime temp is here right now!  I HATE IT!!!!!Angry  Would you like to know what the weather is here on a typical winter day?  -18°C.  And it gets colder, especially with the wind chill.  If I were in Virginia, which is where I'm originally from, winter temps would be more like yours, and sometimes a bit warmer.

Some of my family give me gift cards to the beads stores, bless them for enabling me!  Cool!  Look forward to seeing your stuff.  Do you have Skype?  I do!  That's how I talk to my cousins in England.  Best invention ever!  They also support my bead habit!(lol)  Just in case you hadn't already figured it out, we Americans are quite friendly.Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,844
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 12:58 AM

Okay, Yvonne, now I'm jealous!  You must be right on the coast!  How close are you to Kangaroo Island?  How's the life in SA?  Ever go swimming in Spencer Gulf?  Bet it's nice there in the summer.  You must be just warming up now.  Do you have yard sales or garage sales or boot sales in Australia?  I ask because I find the coolest old jewelry at these types of sales, both here at home in the States and when I was in England visiting.  I like to take a lot of it apart and do something new with it, especially the goofy stuff you find from the 60's and 70's.  So if you're looking for an inexpensive boost to your supply, that might be a way to go.  You'd be surprised how much a few bucks can get you. (I feel comfortable saying bucks, as you have dollars over there, just like we do here.)Smile

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 9:15 PM

Hi Val. Americans are friendly?? Really!! I'd never have guessed. I'm actually only about one and half hours from the Gold Coast so not too bad. Not really a beach person though, give me the mountains and country every time. I'm not on Skype, even though my daughter has been nagging at me to come into the 21st century, 19 year olds do nag. I've just got myself hooked onto Dropbox so I can share my files without having to send them through the email. What a godsend that is! I can't wait to get my camera up and running, I needed a new battery which is on order and hopefully will be here soon.

Anyway I'm off to do some beading. Don't know what yet but I'm sure to come up with something to do.

Talk soon.

Lyn

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,844
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 11:51 PM

ROTFL!  I know, mega-understatement, right?  We pretty much say, "hi! come on in and hang out with us!  We'll fire up the grill, toss on acouple steaks, and have ourselves a good time!"  We love our barbequeing grills; we are bbq fools!

It's pretty easy to set up Skype.  Even a dimbulb like me can do it!(lol)  For me, Skype is awesome; it really helps me stay connected.

Oh, I'm a beach person AND a country person.  Who says you can't be both?Smile  We have this great observatory that's practically in our backyard.  I went to a lecture once, and one of the NASA astronauts was giving the lecture.  How cool is that?!  They have a terrific telescope up there.  I've seen Saturn's rings, which is so awesome!  I've had a closeup view of the Eye of Jupiter, too.

Maybe I'll design a sort of astronomy-style piece next.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 8:15 AM

OK Val, now you've guilted me into signing up to Skype, I didn't want to seem like a technophobe or anything. Next time your on, look out for 'lynvoyager' but remember the time difference please. Otherwise I'll think you're one of my children. My son sent me a text at about 12 MIDNIGHT the other night which said "If your awake, ring me". Of course I was awake, receiving the text woke me up! So I called him and he said, "Oh good, you were awake". Sometimes it's just too hard to explain, especially to a male.

Anyway looking forward to talking to you.

Lyn

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,844
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 10:19 PM

Well, you've got to send me an invitation.  My handle is valerie.smyder('scuse me a mo....ow, Zoe! stop kicking me!)  Sorry, I'm in bed right now.  The dogs think it's fun to kick me.  They like to take turns.Confused  Geeks!  You need to let me know what time it is there, too.(g).  Right now, we are still on Daylight Savings Time.  As I live on the East Coast, as I write this, it's 10:42pm EDT, or, if you prefer, 2242.  Yup, I'm completely comfortable with a 24-hr. clock, as my dad was in the Navy.  Plus I worked in hospital for many years.  I'm very used to military time.  Oh, hold on a sec, I'll see if I can pull your info up in Skype......okay, if your last name is Gatfield, I've just sent you a connection request...well, now we're connected.  What a nice chat we had!  Let's do it again soon, and I'll show you some of my jewelry.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Gayle Coco wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 9:47 PM

Hi Lyn, for many years now I have been going to antique shops and estate sales and things like that to get beautiful beads. It started when I had some vintage jewelry that I couldn't sale, As much as I hated it I decided it was more valuable to me as beads. When I broke those beautiful beads I had a clasp worth $30. to $60. and black jet beads (a double string of graduated beads, the largest a16mm) another $50. All I had been offered was $20. That was the beginning. I go to these places and ask if they have any broke jewelry. A lot of the time I can buy a whole box for $5 or $6 . 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS