Jayashree Paramesh's Sari Pendant

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Beadlizard wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 8:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I am not new to this board, but have only read so far. I hope it is okay to begin my "talking entrance" with a question. I'd like to know whether any of you already tried to make the Sari Pendant from the lastest Beadwork issue.

I am not new to beading, have been doing it for over 12 years and would say I am quite advanced with most stitches (still fighting with RAW, but many do, right?). So I was more than amazed that with the experience I thought I'd have, I didn't manage to get the pendant right. 

It is not about the technique, that is easy, but the tension. I tried it three times with different tension and it always ended up way too wobbly. Generally, my tension is very very tight already and I have many pieces that can stand by themselves without filling. So, I don't think I have too little tension.

I also tried Nymo, Fireline and Silamide and the result was the same. I simply love this pendant, so I really would like to master it, but I don't feel like trying it a fourth time now. So I thought I ask if anyone has made a similar experience or has a hint on how to get this thing firm?

Beady greetings,

Santafe the Beadlizard aka Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,267
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 11:14 AM

Andrea,

I haven't tried it yet, but I was just wondering, what if you were to go through the beads again (as your are beading). Sometimes I find that it adds strength to a stitch. What I do is, as I do a row of beading I than will go through all the beads on that row again. It does add some degree of strength to the finished piece.

I will try the piece myself in a little bit. I will report back with my results.

Happy Beading!! 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Beadlizard wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 12:27 PM

Hi Sue,

thanks for such a quick answer!

I think you are right that going thru every row again could help. I hadn't really thought about that since I find my tension very strong already, but it might just do the job here.

I will definitely give that a try because I really love that design. And it would be very interesting to hear about your experience once you get along to try that pattern yourself.

Thank you again,

Andrea

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 2:05 PM

Andrea, something I found by accident.............I made a Cellini bracelet that turned out really well in the tension dept. I picked up my spool of crystal Wildfire as my previous Cellini was sort of floppy. The Wildfire is definitely thicker and stiffer than Fireline. I use many many yards of Fireline and I'm very happy with it overall. I didn't like Wildfire in the beginning as I was given some smoke to test before it came on the market, and I had blackish flakes all over and the line under the smoke is white, so my end work with it had blotches where the thread shows. So I'd only use Wildfire crystal, but even with my normal (not too tight) tension it made a stiffer bracelet. Some of the beads she uses are small. The Wildfire is not much larger is diameter than Fireline and it may not be a problem. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Beadlizard wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 10:12 AM

Hi Donna,

believe it or not, I DO possess Wildfire, but since it's not my favorite thread, I have it stowed away someplace. However, your hint reminded me of it and you are right, the material could just be the solution for my problem.

Thanks for answering and when I now try your and Sue's tips together, I hopefully will manage to get my piece firm enough!

Happy beading,

Andrea

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 58
jayparam wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 11:32 AM

Hi Andrea,

I hope you had a chance to finish the Sari Pendant. It is an easy pattern to follow from the design standpoint. You will get perfect results if you have the bead sizes right and maintain firm tension till Round 11. (See earrings photo) Fireline works best and you could try using Fireline 8 lb test thread. I am replying to your post here for the benefit of other beaders if they have similar issues. 

Happy Beading!

Jayashree Paramesh

www.nchantme.com  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 5:17 PM

Thanks Jayashree!  That was very nice of you to come over and answer this question for us.

Cat

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,267
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 6:16 PM

Thank you very much for helping us out.

I haven't had time to do your design yet, however I do plan on it, especially now that you have been so kind as to take your time to help us.  

Thanks again.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS