Beading classes & your favorite blogs

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 19, 2012 7:16 AM

Hi All!  I'm what you would call a "newbie" here so I hope you won't mind my asking questions that have surely been asked and answered before.  I would like to take a beginners class on beading and am not sure how to find one.  Any recommendations?  Do large craft stores teach them?  I am in central Ohio and in a very rural area but am willing to drive to Columbus or another city. 

Also, I'd love to see some of your favorite bead blogs!  I'm sure they are out there... mind sharing your links?? 

Thanks in advance!  So glad to be here!

Kristin

~Kristin

My Blog (started long BEFORE I started beading!):  Sunshine, Smiles & Stamps= Lovin' Life

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 1:02 PM

Hi Kristin & Welcome to the forums

First let me say I am a self taught beader. I've never had the oppertunity to take classes.

I believe that some large craft stores do have classes but I'm not possitive.

Look in or around your area for an LBS (Local Bead Store) most of those will either offer classes or their staff will be able to give you assistance on "How To"

There are some great how to basics on line. Some of my favorites are: Auntie's Beads, BeadFusion,Fire Mountain Gems.

Some of my fave blogs are: labellajoya.blogspot (Marcie is a member here although she hasn't been around in awhile)

maddesignsbeads.blogspot (this one is Marcia DeCoster's blog she's a published bead artist) also

inspirationalbeading.blogspot also you may want to check out beadandbutton.com (the other beading mag site) as well as beadsbaublesandjewels.com

You'll also see several of our current members have their blog addys in their signitures at the bottom of each of their posts.

These are just a few that I have. If you do a forum search at the top of the page for blogs or beading blogs you should get several hits because as you said this topic has come up before.

Hope this helped.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 1:23 PM

Hi Kristin,

Just had a look at your blog, lovely. It's so nice you posted one of your mother's bracelets.

I'm a selftaught beader as well. You can learn everything you possibly want on the internet. My favourite European site is 'BeadFriends'. http://www.youtube.com/user/BeadsFriends. The tutorials are made by a wonderful Italian woman called Sara. She's an exceptionally good teacher and funny too and very dedicated to teaching us about beading. I think she must have made at least 100 tutorials. I'm sure you'll find a lot there.

Hope this will help you.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 19, 2012 1:34 PM

THank you so much Sellen and Karin!  Oh I can't wait to get started and check out all these blogs and all the tutorials!  Gosh, now I just need more time in the day!!! 

Thanks again for such a warm welcome!!

Kristin

~Kristin

My Blog (started long BEFORE I started beading!):  Sunshine, Smiles & Stamps= Lovin' Life

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 1:56 PM

Hi Kristen!  And welcome to the madness that is our fun beading family!

Like Sue Ellen, I am mostly self taught.  I was able to take a few classes at my lbs, but sadly it closed earlier this year, as the owner developed serious health problems, NOT from lack of business, that's for sure!

I'd also like to add, if you'd like to take an online class, to go to BD's sister site, Craftsy.  They offer numerous beading classes, and once you've paid for the class, you can come back indefinitely to brush up, ask questions, etc.

Welcome again!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 523
on Sep 19, 2012 5:44 PM

Welcome Kristin!

I think many of us are self-taught beaders. I have never taken an official class but I have definitely improved my technique via videos on you tube, other beaders' tutorials/tips/advice. I started out stringing although seed beads are my true love. I now do mostly  off loom bead weaving with the occasional bit of wire work and stringing thrown in.

auntie's Beads has a fantastic selection of video tuts on youtube. you should check them out. Plus all the places the others have mentioned :)

Word of warning though...the more you learn the bigger the addiction ;)

Happy beading!

Shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 21, 2012 8:00 AM

Oh boy is my blog list getting long!  ANd I've already watched a few you tube tutorials- awesome!  I've got so much to learn but am enjoying every minute.  Wish I could take it all in at once!

~Kristin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 10:34 AM

Welcome to Beading DAily,

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 9:04 PM

Hi Kristin, like you I'm a complete newbie to beading but I found that Kelly Dale from Off the Beaded Path has some terrific tutorials on Youtube. She's actually the one who inspired me. Sara from BeadsFriends is another great teacher and she is very easy to follow with her tutorials. Another Youtube channel I've subscribed to is Beading for Perfectionists, however she is usually quite advanced and only uses photos and captions which can be confusing for a beginner, but her work is gorgeous. I also like allcoolcrafts,  she does beautiful beaded animals, dolls etc. Just a bit different.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 291
Sharon Mc wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 3:00 AM

Welcome Kristin! 

I too am  a self taught bead artist and I probably follow over 100 beading blogs. There is one blog called Beads for Brains, well written by a formal school teacher/educator. She takes the reader on her journey to learn a bead stitch and/or technique a day for a full year and in the process you learn along with her. I highly recommend this blog for its entertainment and educational value. You can find the blog by a simple google search. For local bead classes try the Dept. of Parks & Recreation or your local community college adult education evening classes. Both of those offer beading & jewelry classes from beginning to expert in my area for approx $35 to $65 for an 8 week session. Our local senior center (50 and above) offers the same classes for only $5 for a 6 week session!! I couldn't wait until I turned 50 and now I chose to learn silversmithing and mosaic glass! Good luck, have fun, and I can't wait to see what you create!

Sharon Mc

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 29, 2012 4:34 PM

A Million Thanks, for sharing the Beads for Brains Blog. ( I just found this post) I spent an hour on the Beads for Brains blog. It is very informative.

(I didn't figure out out to see the instructions for the projects, (I will check back)

It is a Wonderful Idea!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS